ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating from old Domain to New

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARKivnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating from old Domain to New
    Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 2:22pm
This software seems like the answer to my problem but I'm just not sure how to implement it. 
Thanks first to ForensiT for making this free version available.  Seriously, THANK YOU.

I have 6 clients (Win 7) on a Windows 2003 server with domain name XXX.  I am replacing the old server with a Windows 2008R2 server and I had to change the domain name to YYY.  I am migrating all of the served files and folders, printers, etc to the new server and I want all of the clients to remain otherwise unchanged.   I have read the documentation but I really don't know where to start.  I am such a novice when it comes to Widows Server but I have been able to build the new server and test it so I can't be that dumb???   I don't mind doing what is necessary individually on each client. 

Do I install this software on the server or on each client?  Right now, none of the clients has tried to connect to the new domain.  All clients can still see the old domain and all profiles are as they have been.  (Alan.xxx.local)  If I do connect, I will create a new profile on the client. (Alan.yyy.local)  What I want is the old profile but with network services pointing to the new domain where Alan.yyy.local appears identical to Alan.xxx.local.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 6:24am
User Profile Wizard (Profwiz.exe) is a standalone executable. You need to run Profwiz.exe on each workstation you want to migrate to the new domain. Follow the steps in the "Migrating User Profiles with User Profile Wizard" chapter of the User Guide to migrate each profile and to join the machine to the new domain.
ARKivnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARKivnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 3:31pm
Thank you for the quick reply.
I did as you suggested.  I ran Profwiz.exe on the client as an administrator.  I got the WELCOME screen and then clicked NEXT.  The next screen I got was USER ACCOUNT INFORMATION screen (manual page 31) and not the SELECT COMPUTER screen as seen on page 28.

Note that I do have the new domain controller up on the network but that I have not done anything prior to connect this client (Win 7) to the new domain.  The old domain is not connected to the network because it would cause an IP address conflict.

Thanks again.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:15am
The Personal Edition of User Profile Wizard does not support the migration of remote computers, so the Select Computer screen is not shown - you can only migrate the computer Profwiz.exe is running on.
ARKivnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARKivnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:01am
Yes, I am running the Personal Edition.  So the first screen I see after the Welcome screen is USER ACCOUNT INFORMATION.  If I have not already tried to connect this client to the new domain, clearly the new domain does not appear on the drop down list.  So I guess that I should use the Windows feature and join the new domain first.  Then I have 2 domain accounts, one for the old machine and one for the new.  Which account should I be logged into when I run Profwiz?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:06am
You need to type in the new domain name. The machine does not need to be joined to the new domain first. It doesn't matter what account you are logged in with. However, it is a good idea not to log on with a new domain account before migrating the profile.
ARKivnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARKivnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 9:48am
Stupid me.  When I saw the block for "Enter the domain:", I just clicked the down arrow and did not see the new domain.  Following your most recent note, I entered the domain, followed the remaining prompts and the first machine did transfer perfectly.

With a feeling of success, I decided to move the other PCs over.  I launched Profwiz and tried to repeat the process for a 2nd PC but get and error. A new message window says that "The Domain controller for 3sagelane.com can not be found.  I have entered this domain name as the full name including the .com part and get this error.  If I enter 3sagelane as the domain name without the .com part, it seems to proceed and then tells me that it has failed and can not find a DNS for this domain.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:42am
This is a name resolution problem. It means that the 3sagelane.com domain name cannot be resolved to the IP address of a Domain Controller.
You need to check the IP configuration of the machine – look for any out-of-date static IP settings. Also check which DNS servers the machine is using and either update the DNS server settings, or ensure that the DNS servers have Forwarders entries for the new domain.  See Finding Domain Controller Fails/ “The RPC server is unavailable” in the "Troubleshooting" section of the User Guide.
ARKivnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARKivnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 2:02pm
You were right.   I had an address conflict.  The 2nd PC is now converted and I'm going to do the 3rd, 4th and 5th shortly.

I do appreciate you help and have already recommended the software to a friend who administers a large network of more than 500 machines.
ARKivnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARKivnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm
The final word...

I could not be more grateful for the free software and, even more, with the wonderful tech support that I got.  All of my client machines are now converted and work perfectly.

Thank you.  The next time I am in Rochester, I owe you a pint or three.

Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic