ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Server 2003 STD to SBS2011 New hardware.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasgot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Server 2003 STD to SBS2011 New hardware.
    Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 11:07am
Good morning,

I am very excited to have found this software and this forum.

I have read the forum posts for the last two years, and I have read the manual. I am ready to move forward, but with limited time to be successful, I want to make sure I have a clear understanding of how this should go. One thing I did notice in a few threads was that it is important to join the PC to the new SBS domain before anything else.

I currently have Windows XP Pro PCs joined to a Windows Server 2003 Standard domain called Church.Local

I have installed and completed the basic setup of the new Windows Server SBS 2011 STD.
I have not visited any PC yet, so they are up and running on the old domain.

Here is what I beleive to be the process:

1) Install User Profile Wizard on new Server and run the wizard to create the config file.
2) Create all domain user accounts on new SBS 2011 Server
2) Turn off old server
3) Visit each workstation and login in as an administrator and run http://sbs2011_server/connect
4) Reboot PC and and log into new domain as administrator
5) Run User Profile Wizard from a USB stick at each PC
6) Instruct UPW to connect the User.OldDomain profile to the new User.NewDomain account
7) Reboot and log in as User.NewDomain
8) Turn OldServer back on and move any rogue user files from the old server to the user's directory on the new server

Is this it? Surely I am missing something important????

Thanks,
Jason
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm
Hi Jason,

This is the procedure we recommend. Please note that you do not have to install User Profile Wizard on the new server: you can install it on any PC in order to create the config file.

jasgot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasgot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:22pm
But I CAN do it from the server, yes?  I'm working remotely on the server now, and I thought I would do it there rather than from a workstation when I arrive on site.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:32pm
Yes you can.
jasgot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasgot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 3:45pm
Thanks.
Edgar242 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edgar242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:33pm
What version of User Profile Wizard I need to use to complete this same preccess? Can I use the Personal edition, or do I need the profecional edition?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 3:26am
Any version of User Profile Wizard can do this. Remember that the Personal Edition does not have the features of the Professional Edition. 

Thanks.

Edited by Support - 13 Dec 2012 at 7:14am
haident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:19pm
Is it necessary to remove the PCs from the old domain before running http://servername/connect to put them in the new domain?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 2:53am
We don't think so.
Harringtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harringtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 8:11pm
It is required to disconnect from the old domain for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. It won't let you connect a PC joined to a different domain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic