ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProfWiz Completed But User Profile Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TropolisGroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProfWiz Completed But User Profile Not Working
    Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
Hi:

My Windows 7 Prof. SP1 machine was setup for a local logon.  I added it to my domain then used ProfWiz to migragte my local profile to my domain user account.  Now when I logon with my domain account my profile is not complete.  The Start menu displays only 1 link to my documents folder and the profile folder at c:\users\mct (happens to be called mct) is hidden.  Also, 'mct' is the old local profile username as my domain username is marct.  ProfWiz completed successfully but apparently failed.

How can I fix this issue?  Help!

Thank you!
Bob
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 2:39pm
Run Profwiz again. Assign the c:\users\mct profile back to the original local user account or to the new domain account - whichever you want to do. Reboot the machine before trying to logon.

If you are using the Personal Edition the profile folder cannot be renamed.

TropolisGroup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TropolisGroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:34pm
Sorry, still doesn't work.  I can run profwiz to assign profile  back to the local user account and it works.  However, after I use profwiz again to assign it back to the domain user account, then reboot before logging on as the new domain account, the profile still loads strangely.  The Start menu only has one link on it and even though the domain user is in the Local Administators group, the domain user cannot even right-click on  the Start menu button.  I've also tried assigning the profile back to local user, removing machine from domain, re-assigning profile back to domain user, and reboot.  Same bad results.

Any ideas to deal w/this issue are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:54am
Hi Bob,

User Profile Wizard configures the existing profile so that it is used by the new domain account. The first thing to determine is if the original profile (c:\users\mct) is used when you logon with the domain account: if you are not sure, go to the command line and type echo %USERPROFILE%.

If the original profile is not being used check the machine event log to find out why Windows couldn't load the profile. If the original profile is being used - and other items like "Documents" are in place - something else is going on; probably something to do with domain security.
Check that the "Authenticated Users" group is a member of the local Users group and "Domain Admins" is a member of the local Administrators group. Make sure thye domain user account is a member of the right groups. Also check for any Group Policies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TropolisGroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:34pm
Ya, something screwy w/ACLs.  The new domain account is using the original/migrated profile as I can see from the desktop icons and folders.  However, the start menu only has one documents link on it and the search field.  User cannot even right-click start button to open Exploring window.  If I type cmd in search field the Command Prompt window will not open with dialog msg: 'accessing the resource cmd has been disallowed'.  NT Authority\Authenticated Users is already member of local Domain Users and in fact I've made domain user a member of local Administrators group.

I'm thinking to try: Migrate profile to new local temp user,  then remove machine from domain/restart, then rename profile folder (can I do this with another tool), then re-add machine to domain/restart, then logon as domain user first to ensure default profile is copied properly and logon works, then use ProfWiz to migrate needed profile.  Any comments/suggestions about this idea?

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TropolisGroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:44pm
This problem is solved. 
I noticed on the SBS 2003 server that the user was in the 'SBS Users' OU.  Another user migrated without a problem and I noticed the user was in the 'Users' OU.  So, I moved the problem user to the Users OU and as soon as I logged onto the computer the menus are loading properly and user appears to have correct permissions, w/profile migrated properly.  The default 'out of box' SBS GPOs do not affect users in SBS Users OU in this way so this domain must have some screwy GPOs setup.  I'll take a look at that next.
Thanks for your help! 
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic