ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can't import root trusted cert. after a migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't import root trusted cert. after a migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zorrobiwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't import root trusted cert. after a migration
    Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 8:23am
Hello all,

I have used Profile Wizard tool to migration some Seven boxes from a domain to a new one.
The operation was a success.

But after the migration, some passwords and certificates were lost.

It's not really a problem for the saved passwords (in Outlook for example).

But now, I can't import some trusted root certificate. The import operation is said as a success, I can find the certificate in the register base, but is not usable through Internet Explorer.

Any one can help me ?

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 11:45am

Passwords and digital certificates are stored encrypted using the user's credentials and cannot be migrated. However, we are not aware of any issues with the reinstallation of certificates.

If everything else fails, you could reassign the profile back to the original user account; reboot the machine; logon as the original account; then export the certificates and delete them from the certificate store. Migrate the profile to the new account again and then reimport the certificates.

I appreciate that this is a lot of work, but removing the old encrypted data might be the best option.

zorrobiwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zorrobiwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:22am
Thanks for your answer.

I have the original certificate (a personnal one and a trusted root certificate). I have no problem to reinstall the personnal one, but the trusted root one can't be reinstalled.

I have also delete it directly from the registry, but the problem remains.

Thanks for your help

(BDC: Windows 2008 server - Computers: Windows 7)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic