ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unpacking Failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gedw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unpacking Failure
    Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 1:25pm
Hi,

I've successfully transferred several profiles from my old computer to my new one (O/S Win XP Pro. fully patched, both machines), however one profile will not transfer and generates the following error:

ForensiT User Profile Transfer Wizard v1.0.1027 BETA 1
Personal Edition (Single User License)
Copyright (c) 2006-2007 ForensiT Ltd
www.ForensiT.com

Unpacking transfer file... Fails.

The transfer file can be open without error using XP's native decompresser or third party  zip utilities.

My only observation  in terms of differences between the problem profile  and  the  successfully transferred profiles is that the  it is considerably  larger than the rest - 618,081 KB.

Thanks

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 4:09pm
Hi,

Unfortuately there is not much you can do. It sounds like the transfer file was corrupted during creation. In future builds of the software we will add a "verify" option to check the integrity of the archive after it has been created.

The size of the profile should not be a problem. If you create the Transfer file again it may be ok.
kenp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 2:24pm
I have the same problem with a few profiles....while testing this software.  It seems to be random.....I've had about 1 in 5 fail with the "Unpacking Transfer file....Fails".  At first I thought it was a size limitation because a couple were around the 2 Gig size...but I've had a couple fail within the 5-10mb size.  I've re-run Transwiz a couple of times on those profiles....and they zip up with out any errors but fail when unpacking.  I even tried one of the 5mb 4 times.....and fails everytime on extraction.  Hum.....Must be something else going on.

Great product though!!!  Simple and Sweet!!  My only other suggestion would be.....can you move several profiles at once?

Thanks!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 8:30pm
Hi,

Many thanks for the feedback - it is much appreciated. We will be using an updated version of the zip engine in future builds which we hope will reduce eliminate these kinds of issues. Smile
CreativeHubLtd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CreativeHubLtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 10:46pm
Hi

I am also having this problem, is there any log that is produced so I can find out why it may be happening ?

Kev
Creative Hub Ltd
IT Solutions Provider
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 8:19pm
Unfortunately there is no way to know what the problem is in this build.
j-sta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-sta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 6:38pm
I understand this is quite the old thread, and I'm not sure what version it's referring to,  but I am having this issue with 2.5.

I successfully migrated my profile, multiple times, without issue.
With another profile, though, it keeps failing to unpack.

Now... for giggles, I extracted the ZIP file with XP's built-in compressor.  It uncompressed with no errors.

Yet, with WinZip (both versions 10.0 and 12.0) give the error message: "The compression method stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the compression method stored in the central header."

Now, with WinZip, it will extract some files,  but the majority of them fail with this error message.

Not sure if this will help.

And by the way, great product!  I love it; will make things sooooo much easier, even if there are some snaffu's ;)

FYI, decided to test something.. and it appears to work.

I simply extracted the user.trans.zip file with Windows built-in compression tool.
I then re-compressed the files in that folder, into a user.trans.zip file.
And now it's not erroring out when transferring :)
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 10:16am

Many thanks for the information Star

This helps a lot - it gives us something to look for.
tostfeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tostfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 6:30pm
One suggestion.  We have found that "prepping" the profile before running the wizard helps considerably.  We run CCleaner off a thumb drive on the source PC before migrating to remove temp files, IE temp files, etc.  We also run a registry cleaner to get rid of crufty keys.  Our success rate of migrating a profile is substantially higher after taking these initial steps.
Victor Sudakov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Sudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Gedw Gedw wrote:

one profile will not transfer and generates the following error:ForensiT User Profile Transfer Wizard v1.0.1027 BETA 1Personal Edition (Single User License)Copyright (c) 2006-2007 ForensiT Ltdwww.ForensiT.com Unpacking transfer file... Fails.

I have the same problem with this version. I have tried two profiles and both give the same error during transfer. Using Windows XP. Is there a fixed version available?

When I try to unpack the .trans.zip files with WinRAR, I get error messages about syntax errors in file or folder names. This means perhaps that the .trans.zip archives are created incorrectly. We use many Cyrillic filenames, could it be the problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic