ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating computers to new domain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mr Plop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Plop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating computers to new domain
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:56pm
A late reply, but it may help some else out there that is about to do this.

I did this recently and it worked very well. I did it exactly as you described. There is a little trick, though.

On the User Account Information window, ensure that the "Join Domain" is ticked. When I ran Profwiz, this box had the little blue “I’m not quite selected” colour. I had to click on it to make sure it was ticked, but after that all went to plan.

Once completed, and after the reboot, the user logged into the domain and all was as it was!

(One small point and I don't know if it matters: I was also changing the user name on the PC. This didn't cause any problems.)

I *think* the user was also added to the local admin group. (Have to check that one.)
Did somebody say doughnuts?
Dnet2009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnet2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:40pm
also, if the user is a local admin on the sbs2003 domain, will they automatically be added to the local admin group of the new domain?
Dnet2009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnet2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:23pm
I have 75 workstations on an sbs2003 domain. I will be moving to a 2008 r2 domain. Both domains are named the same domain.local.

will this present any problems running the migration tool? I created a config file that removes me from domain.local and adds me to domain.local.

I plan on removing (turning off) the old sbs2003 server. Installing the new 2008 DC (connected to network) and running this tool on all pc's. I will likely need to do a release/renew on the IP first.

Let me know what you guys think.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic