ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Move to a new Windows SBS 2011 installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massimiliano.rizzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move to a new Windows SBS 2011 installation
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 4:32pm

Hello,

we are planning to evaluate and buy the latest version of ForensiT's workstation migration tools. We have seen a lot of people using and recommending ForensiT's workstation migration tools across various Microsoft online technical communities. We can't wait to try them out, however we are completely new to them.

Based on my understanding so far, User Profile Wizard is workstation migration tool that can also be scaled up to an Enterprise scenario. It can be used to:

==================================================

- Migrate current domain user profiles to their corresponding new domain accounts so that all existing user data and settings can be retained.

- Migrate current local user profiles to their corresponding new domain accounts so that all existing user data and settings can be retained when a standalone computer joins a domain for the first time.

- Migrate current local user profiles to their corresponding new domain accounts so that all existing user data and settings can be retained when a standalone computer joins a domain for the first time.

- Automatically join a machine to a new domain as part of the existing user data and settings migration process

Based on my understanding so far, Transwiz workstation migration tool has many similarities to User Profile Wizard however, while User Profile Wizard creates a sort of link between the new user profile and the old profile, Transwiz primarily targets personal data and settings transfer/migration to a new computer and to do so it packs existing user personal data and settings into a standard zip archive for easy transfer and final unpack to the new target computer.

While I have no doubts about the workstation migration tool we should use when migrating existing user data and settings to and from Non SBS Windows domains, after reading a few step by steps I have not yet realized which migration tool is recommended when migrating existing user data and settings to Windows SBS 2008/2011 domains, so I just want to make sure I get it right. As far as I know for migrations to a Windows SBS 2008/2011 domain Microsoft recommends that we use the SBS "Join Computer" Wizard to join the machines to the new domain, so User Profile Wizard cannot be used to join existing machines to the new Windows SBS 2008/2011 domain.

Next Saturday we will have to move from an existing small Non SBS Windows 2008 Domain to a new Windows SBS 2011 installation on a different Server, so we would like to use ForensiT's workstation migration tools for the first time.

Environment:

- Existing Non SBS Windows 2008 Domain (olddomain.local) and a new Windows SBS 2011 Domain (newdomain.local).

- Both domains will be up and accessible on the network during the migration.

- About 10 computers with will have to be disjoined from the existing Non SBS Windows 2008 Domain, joined to the new Windows SBS 2011 Domain and user profiles migrated.

Questions:

- Which migration tool is recommended when migrating existing user data and settings to the new Windows SBS 2011 Domain since the SBS "Join Computer" Wizard to join the machines to the new domain must be manually performed ?

- When exactly do we have to run the workstation migration tool (when machines are still joined to the existing Non SBS Windows 2008 Domain, before joining machines to the new Windows SBS 2011 Domain or after joining machines to the new Windows SBS 2011 Domain) ?

- Which user account do we have to use to run the workstation migration tool (old  Domain admin account, local admin account or new Domain admin account) ?

- Since we will be using ForensiT's workstation migration tools for the first time and we do not have any purchased license, we just want to make sure whether limitations exist using the trial license.

Thank you in advance for helping us select the correct product and for sharing any tips from real-world migrations.

Regards,
Massimiliano
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic