ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - want to convert to domain but keep local profiles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

want to convert to domain but keep local profiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkarasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: want to convert to domain but keep local profiles
    Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 10:25pm
I want to join a laptop to a domain but keep all the local profiles already set up. Is there a way to do this with Profile Wizard?

GaryK
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:22am
Do you mean you want your users to continue to use the same profiles when they logon with their new domain accounts? If so, that is what User Profile Wizard is designed to do.
gkarasik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkarasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 9:35am
No, I've been using profile wizard for months, and I know what it is designed to do. But laptops are used both inside our office when they are joined to the domain and outside the office when they are not. PWiz converts the profiles from local to domain. Once the local profiles are created, then if the user logs in when he is outside the office and logs into the local machine instead of the domain, then a new profile is created. What I am asking is if there is a way to keep BOTH the local profiles on the laptop and also create domain profiles. I realize that this would take longer because the profiles would be copied/converted.
GaryK
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 3:16am
If you want two different user accounts to share the same profile (a local and a domain account) you should take a look at User Profile Manager rather than use User Profile Wizard.

User Profile Manager is designed to manage shared profiles and prevents conflicts beetween two accounts using the same profile.
gkarasik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkarasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 8:40am
You're not going to provide much support if you're not going to try to understand what you're being asked.
GaryK
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 10:15am

I've answered the question. The best way to achieve what you want to do is use User Profile Manager to share the profile so that both the local and the domain user account use the same profile.

The Corporate Edition of User Profile Wizard allows you to create copy profiles, but this is not the best solution. If you copy the profile and the user logs in with their local account they will wonder why their  documents and settings are not the same as when they logon with their domain account. Then you will end up continually copying data between the two profiles to try and keep them in sync.

Windows does of course cache domain credentials so you can still logon to the machine when it is not connected to the domain. There is no need to logon with a local account outside the office.

Edited by Support - 27 Nov 2012 at 10:27am
gkarasik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkarasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 10:23am

Never mind.

GaryK
rjablonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjablonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:57pm
This question makes perfect sense.  We are in the middle of a migration that will take a few weeks.  We are currently on Novell.  Each user has a profile on the local machine

Local Machine- username

We want to make a copy of the user profile and join that one to the domain
Domain-username 
This will join computer to domain, and allow us to apply policies if we want to the COMPUTER.
And then: We then want to copy the local machine profile to the new domain profile.

THEN for the next few weeks we want to be login as usual to Novell using the old profile, without having to login as a user to the domain.

When we are ready to migrate  we will login to the domain and windows using the new domain profile.

We have done this manually, but I cannot figure out how to make your software do this. We have corp edition of your program.  Can you please help.
rjablonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjablonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 7:21pm
Actually I figured it out,  I changed the script to share the profile instead of copy. The key was that you must restart computer before changing profiles or it doesn't work.  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic