ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgmein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaming
    Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 2:35pm

We purchased 50 licenses to test your product for a large migration project. I have a question before we can commit to your tool:

Can Profwiz rename and join a computer in one pass or does it need to do a reboot? In our environment, the computer account in the domain needs to created before it will be allowed to join. We would like to create the account with the new name rather than the old name (bad discovery data). Unfortunately we don't have the seat time for another reboot. Currently we are migrating and joining then rebooting and renaming. We would like to rename and join then reboot and migrate. This will be scripted only, no GUI's.

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 2:44pm
Hi,

Profwiz can certainly rename a machine and join the machine to the domain in one step. You need to use the /RENAME parameter on the command line Smile

If you are using the Deployment Kit to generate your script, you specify this information at Step 4.

Edited by Support - 01 Nov 2007 at 2:45pm
dgmein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgmein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:25pm
OK, that's great, you saved me some testing time. Next question - the PC's will go into different containers based on the country and I want only one version of this program we're building. The way I understand it, if I always have to specify the full ADsPath after the rename switch then it's not going to work for us, is that correct?

Thanks again
dgmein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgmein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:47pm
A little clarification:

Do I need the full ADsPath in the rename switch if I'm not moving the computer account? If I don't then I think you're going sell some licenses...

Thanks

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:56pm
You don't need to use the /RENAME switch if you are not moving or renaming the computer account.

It isn't difficult to modify the script to use a different ADsPath in different locations - so if you needed to do this we could certainly help.

Edited by Support - 01 Nov 2007 at 3:57pm
dgmein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgmein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 4:10pm
We are renaming, but we are not moving the computer account. Here are the steps:

1. Pre-create the computer account in the new domain using a standard naming convention
2. Tech logs into the PC and runs the automated Profwiz program we developed.
3. Profwiz renames the computer to the new standard naming convention.
4. Profwiz joins the computer to the new domain.
5. Profwiz migrates the existing user account.
6. Reboot.

I want to do this without specifying the ADsPath to the computer account in the new domain. We want 1 version of the CD to be passed to 60 countries (they have 2 computer OU's each) and we can't have 120 versions of the program. All the info is hard coded into an executable.

Can we do it?

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 5:23pm
Everything is possible! Smile

You will need to pass the AdsPath(s) to be passed via the /RENAME parameter. However, these will be known in advance so there is no reason why you can't create a single deployment CD.

It would be very useful to know a bit more about how your new domain is configured. For example, do you have a single domain with different country OUs, or do you have country subdomains? If you email support@forensit.com we will be very happy to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic