ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - migrating workgroup to domain first time 2008 R2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

migrating workgroup to domain first time 2008 R2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techguy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: migrating workgroup to domain first time 2008 R2
    Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 2:13pm
Hi, our environment consists of about 30 users mainly running windows 7 pro, with a few xp and win 7 home premium machines.

Almost all of the workstations have one user which is the local admin user with no password set. Most of these user names are bogus and generic, which means the local admin user account is set to a generic user name like the company name or a StationXX username.

What I want to do is have a domain user account for each person at each workstation and disable the local administrator account on the local machine and have the domain administrator account control all workstations.

Do I have to pre-create all of the user names on the domain controller? I am assuming by using ProfWiz that I migrate the local admin account over to the newly created domain user account?

Once migrated, how does the local admin account behave? Is it disabled?       The company management wants no local control or admin rights on the workstations after this migration. Sorry for repeating this over and over again but this is the result desired.

Thanks,
techguy95
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 5:08am
Hi,

You can use User Profile Wizard to migrate the local Administrator account profile to a new (non-Administrator) domain account. It will also disable the local account for you if you tell it to do so.

Your only problem will come if the account you are migrating is not the local Administrator account. In that case, you will need to take separate steps to disable the local Admin account. Remember that if you really want to lock this down, you can use a Group Policy to define the members of the local Administrators group and disable the local Admin account.

You will need to create the user accounts in the new domain before running User Profile Wizard.
techguy95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techguy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 6:08pm
thanks so much...this helped me out

now on to the group policies...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic