ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Some problems to report

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Carl Farrington View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
  Quote Carl Farrington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some problems to report
    Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 8:54pm
Hi. So I tried the app with Vista today. It didn't work first time. Symptoms were lots of "access denied" type stuff. Strange. I don't know if the problem was that I had UAC enabled whilst doing the migration (it was fine to re-enable after a sucessful migration), or if it was because I ran the migration as domain\administrator, rather than whilst logged on as the actual user. Following that failed migration, I tried again on some other Vista workstations but I (a) disabled UAC first, and (b) ran the tool whilst logged in under the profile that was being migrated (i.e. as the local user whose profile I was migrating to a domain account). This was successful every time.

You should do some in house testing to see for sure what the problem is. Maybe I should read the user guide? The symptoms were just like I described in my "what was I doing wrong with Vista" thread. IE7 crashing, other stuff crashing, lots of access denied messages.

Further to that, I have some application incompatibilities to report:

Office 2007 with Business Contact Manager. The Business Contacts part of outlook no longer finds the database. I just disabled it as I don't use it.

Windows Desktop Search. It seems to be storing its indexes or whatever against a user's SID. Upon logging on the domain account with the migrated profile, I am receiving repetitive (every 10 mins maybe) Windows Search Protocol Host has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. I downloaded latest WDS (3.0.1 or something) to install over the top hoping it would fix the problem. The problem didn't re-show itself in the short time I was there, but there were errors in the event log that some updates couldn't be applied and that some indexes (oneindex:[old sid number] or something). I will find out tomorrow if the problem persists.

That's all I have to report for now :)
Back to Top
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1290
  Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 12:01pm
Hi Carl,
 
Thanks for the feedback. We have of course done extensive in house testing with Vista (from the early betas onwards) and we have not seen the problems that you report. Testing however, is a continuous process so we will keep your comments in mind.
 
We will look at the application issues as soon as possible.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.031 seconds.