ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Migration Function

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Migration Function
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 5:58am
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, here.

Just a basic functionality question:
When using Profwiz.exe how does the migration work? I was under the impression that it will migrate the selected user profile to the user profile that is actually in use (when running Profwiz.exe). Is that correct?

I am asking because I have two machines that were originally set up as stand alone machines. On each machine, the original user profile named was USER. After being setup and used for two months or so they were joined to a windows domain (Win2k3 server). The profile name that windows created after joining the domain was USER.DOMAIN. This profile was used for about a month and works properly on the domain and has some shortcuts and applications, etc... that are required for the actual person using the machine.

The thing is that although it's working properly, the user would also like to have access to the settings that were on the original profile called "USER", as well as all the current profile settings they are presently using on the "USER.DOMAIN" profile.

So that's why I asked above if it will migrate the selected profile's settings while also keeping the existing profile's setting.

I guess I'm confused between whether it migrates or merges the profiles and how that actually takes place.

Can anyone explain this for me?

I would also like to delete the USER.DOMAIN profile after the two profiles have been merged to the USER profile. Obviously I only want to do that after I've tested everything and it's working properly.

Thanks!

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 3:28am

Your impression is not correct. User Profile Wizard assigns a profile to a user account: it does not merge profiles.

In your example, you can assign the original USER profile to the domain user account. If you do, the user will use the USER profile and the USER.DOMAIN profile will be ignored. The USER.DOMAIN data will still be on the hard drive, but it will not be used by Windows.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic