ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two users after Profile Migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan.Guggenheim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two users after Profile Migration
    Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:22am
Thanks for your free tool. It worked pretty well apparently.
But it still left me with two user folders
One as Alan
One as Alan.Guggenheim
I was setting up a new domain, and had to migrate my local profile to the domain account.
Some of my documents are in the first one, some are in the second one and it is very confusing, as windows renames things on the fly!
For example, if I go to Libraries Documents, it shows the folders in C:\users\Alan yet my currently used profile should be pointing to C:\users\Alan.Guggenheim
On the Desktop, there is a folder Alan.Guggenheim, but it also points to c:\user\Alan

How do I resolve this, merge all the files safely and remove the Alan profile/user?

Thanks

Alan A Guggenheim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:40am
Hi,

User Profile Wizard configures your existing profile “in place” so that it is used by your new domain account. It does not merge profiles. So if your original profile was C:\users\Alan, this is the profile that should be being used when you logon with your domain account after you run User Profile Wizard.

If you previously logged on with your Alan.Guggenheim domain account, Windows will have created a C:\users\Alan.Guggenheim profile. This will be “orphaned” and not used after the migration.

Alan.Guggenheim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan.Guggenheim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:33pm
I see. I had not understood this before.
Now, what I want is to use the login and profile Alan.Guggenheim
How do I merge safely the two user folders and files and profiles?
It seems I should keep the folder C:\users\Alan but rename it Alan.Guggenheim
and copy all files currently in C:\users\Alan.Guggenheim to it
Is that all or do I need to edit the profile or the registry to change the actual folder name?

Edited by Alan.Guggenheim - 29 Sep 2013 at 1:14pm
Alan A Guggenheim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:27am
You will need to move any files and folder you saved in the C:\users\Alan.Guggenheim profile folder to the C:\users\Alan folder manually. If you want to rename the folder, you will need to reboot the machine (so the profile is not in use), logon with a different (administrator) account, and then rename it.
Alan.Guggenheim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan.Guggenheim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:32am
Thanks. I did it. The only issue left is that the system won't let me rename the old folder even when logged in with a different local admin account. It says one folder or file is open or in use.
Do you know of any utility or easy way to find out which service or software might be locking a file or folder?

Alan A Guggenheim
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:04am
You can use Process Explorer to find out which process has a handle open to file. Use Find (Ctrl+F) to seach for the profile folder path.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic