ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sychronizing a local profile w/ a domain profile
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sychronizing a local profile w/ a domain profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y2gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sychronizing a local profile w/ a domain profile
    Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 10:34am
Hi,

I have another quick question.

I have a user that wants to synchronize a local profile (that is NOT roaming) with the newly created domain profile.

I do not believe this is possible being that the majority of the local profile information is moved to the new domain profile (if I understand it correctly).

Also the user reports problems of not being able to log into the old local profile saying their is a problem with the credentials.

Does Profwiz disable the local account once it has been migrated? As I understand it, the user should still be able to log in, just that any changes would not be synchronized. Which brings us back to the first question :D

Thanks a lot for any help!

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 2:07pm
Hi,

You're right - it's not possible to synchronize or "merge" profiles. Profwiz can disable the local account but only if you tell it to. We'd have to know what error the user is getting to say more...
y2gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y2gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 2:39pm
Well actually the main problem is that the user's new domain account won't work offline.

He's running Vista (surprise, surprise there's problems :P). With XP it caches the users credentials as I'm sure you know, just that you're not actually on the domain.

I know this really isn't a Profwiz question, but does Vista cache credentials differently than XP or even cache them at all?

I've run Profwiz on XP and the user is able to access the new domain account offline after having entered the credentials once. I'll do some looking into it on my own, but hopefully you can provide some insight :D

Thanks!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 2:56pm
We haven't seen any problems with logging onto Vista off-line. Obviously the user will have needed to logon on-line first so that the credentials can be cached.
y2gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y2gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 2:59pm
That's right and he has. After looking into it, it could be a group policy thing because there's a policy setting about "Keep X amount of logins cached" and by default Vista sets this to 10. So there shouldn't be a problem. And I know it's not a company group policy thing because there's other machines on the domain that do this fine.

I'll keep digging though.
y2gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y2gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 9:02am
Well the local group policy is set as it should (to cache the last 10 logins). And it's still not caching anything...
y2gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y2gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 10:27am
I found the culprit!

We run a Novell Client on all our Windows machines here and I've had no problem on XP caching credentials even with the client installed.

There is a specific version of Novell Client for Vista, so I uninstalled that, and that fixed the issue!

It's still weird because when you try to login with the Novell client installed, the login doesn't even fail, it just doesn't recognized you've entered anything. It just sits there and does nothing.  You don't see any effort to connect to a network at all. Darn Novell! haha
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 3:06pm
I'm glad you got to the bottom of this! Thanks for letting us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic