ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with Defprof on windows 8.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sna77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with Defprof on windows 8.1
    Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:02am
We are evaluating User Profile Manager or Defprof for use with our Corporate Image of Windows 8.1 Enterprise and are running into an issue we can’t get past. Here's the process:

Clean install of Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and unlocked the default administrator account. Customize the administrator account as we want, install all software, etc.

Create a second (temporary) local administrator account then log on as the temp administrator account.

Elevated Command Prompt, run: defprof administrator

The command runs successfully, I create another temporary user account and log in as that user. everything looks and works good except we run into a problem when attempting to save files from new accounts.

For example if I created a new account and logged into it, then opened Word and just hit save the default location would still attempt to open C:\Users\Administrator\Documents. We get the “Access is Denied” message and then if people hit Cancel then can save wherever they want.

I really need to get this to work without the error... Perhaps defprof is copying the exact file location instead of the %username%...
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 4:06am
Thanks for the feedback. This is not something we were aware of. DefProf is probably not deleting this setting from the registry when it is copied to the default profile.
sna77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sna77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 6:56am
Any idea what the reg keys are? 

I can get the profile copy to work if I create an answer file with WAIK 8.1 using the copyprofile true command and sysprep.  In this particular situation I would prefer not to sysprep however.

I forgot to mention this also happens if you use User Profile Manager as well.

Thanks!
KailowIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KailowIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:44pm
I can confirm having the same issue with Win 8.1 and Defprof.

Create a simple user non admin profile and does some settings.
Afterwards using Defprof and the default profile now retains static user info of the savepath.

Example:
"Test" user i created and the profile copied with Defprof
Afterwards if I login as new user and choose "save as" then this error occurs: "C:\Users\Test\Documents" access denied

I used to manually copy the profiles to default in Windows 8 and do some tweaking to make it work. But now I get the same problem as with Defprof.

I would be very happy to help you in any way to nail this problem.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 4:59am
We are working on a update to DefProf and wanted to look this issue. However, we don't see it at all.

What version of Office are you using? Office 2013 seems to work without any problems. The "Documents" and "Desktop" folders under "Computer" relate correctly to the current user profile, not the original profile folders.
andrewnolan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewnolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:27am
I'm just started using 8.1 with Office 2013 and I see the same problem> library locations show up as the default user's instead of the logged in user's. It happened for the defprof version I had been using for over a year with Windows 7 and the latest version I downloaded yesterday. Any difference in how I need to run defprof for 8.1 compared to 7?
gfilitti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfilitti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 9:30am
It would be great if this could be automated.
I've been using another third party app "Windows Enabler" to copy over the default profile since Vista. After the copy, I have been editing the registry hive of the new default profile to delete any keys with the Administrator. (Enterprise Environment)
All bets were off with Windows 8x with the other level of complexity that is the Modern Interface.
I've used this method with Defprof on one system so far and it seems to have worked okay, however I haven't had a chance to put one of these configurations to the real test in a lab or among multiple users.
deltsigjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltsigjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 9:47am
Our Windows 8.1 has a problem as well....

we are trying to set the default applications for the default user, follow all of the steps, and the settings do not stick. any suggestions??

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic