ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWednesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 testing
    Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:13pm
I have had the start menu break issue on one machine that I've used this tool on, and it was moving from one Windows 10 machine to another. The first machine had been upgraded from Win7 and the new machine was a new Win10 machine. I haven't had this happen when I transfer from a Win7 to Win10 machine.

Has anyone else seen this same issue only with moving from Win10 to Win10? I'm aware of complaints about it happening but without details on the old machine's OS. The fix I have found is to reregister the apps using powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

and then delete or rename the folder C:\Users\youruseraccount\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer

I'm just wondering if the tool is pulling settings that are overwriting and breaking the settings in an existing Win10 install.
ogwolflord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ogwolflord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 11:31am
I didn't have an issue with the start menu, but I've encountered several issues with Windows 10 apps breaking. Everytime I attempted opening an MS App, it would open for a millisecond then crash immediately.

I noticed the 'WindowsApps' folder in C:\Program Files did not have some permissions. The user couldn't read or write to this folder. I made the user the owner of the folder and gave his account full access to the folder/files and subfolders/files. I then gave the account 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' full access.

After I made these permission changes, I re-registered the apps using the following powershell command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

After all this, he was able to open the MS APPs. Hopefully this doesn't break again (I first tried just the powershell command and it worked for a few days, then it broke).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic