ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win10 to Win10 Transfer Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdadhemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win10 to Win10 Transfer Issues
    Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 4:32pm
Similar to some other posters, I've noticed a number of issues related to moving from one Win10 system to another Win10 system (Anniversary). Specifically, I've noticed major issues with the 'modern' apps that come with the OS.

One of the main issues is with the MS Edge browser - it crashes as soon as it is launched. Troubleshooting those crashes using common fixes posted online unfortunately didn't resolve the issue. So I'm resorting to manually copying the profile but excluding specific MS files and folders.

The issues seem to only occur for the user account that was migrated - if I create a new user they don't experience the same issues.

Your product is potentially extremely useful and I would really like to support you by purchasing a pro license for use at work. I hope this issue can be resolved so I can reliably use this tool for common user profile transfers. Thank you.
JW542 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW542 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:42pm
I tried TranWiz for the first time today to migrate a user from one Win10 PC to another one, and had the same issues. 2 additions to the OP:

1. My first attempt was a migration from a PC on build 1607 to a new PC on build 1511. This resulted in a completely broken profile. I think TranWiz should at least warn if it detects migrations across Win10 builds.

2. After upgrading the destination PC to build 1607 the profile migration mostly worked, but I also had a broken Edge install. I was able to fix Edge by first deleting the contents of the user's
    Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder
and then running the
    Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {...}
PowerShell command to reinstall it.

TranWiz is a great idea, but it needs to avoid these Win10 Windows Apps issues.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic