ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black screen and flashing taskbar after migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black screen and flashing taskbar after migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black screen and flashing taskbar after migration
    Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 4:34am
Hello,
I am using ForensiT User Profile Wizard v3.12.1225 to test local to domain user migration and on the first PC I tried it on I go through the process of migrating the user, it says it completed the migration.
When it restarts and I sign in using my domain credentials it logs in  but the background is black with the taskbar flashing intermittently, it doesn't allow me to access task manager or the start menu, it's totally unresponsive but it will let me hit ctrl + alt + del to sign out.
I was able to migrate the profile back to a local account which works without problem.

This is the log I get (private info redacted)

Finding Domain Controller for domain DOMAIN... Done.
Using Domain Controller: \\DOMAINCONTROLLER.DOMAIN.COM
Binding to Active Directory... Done.
Getting FQDN for user "USER"...  Done.
Getting Domain SID... Done.
SID is S-0-0-00-000000000-0000000000-000000000-0000
Checking for roaming profile...Done.
No roaming profile path set.
Processing Windows Store Apps... Done.
Setting Registry ACLs... Done.
Set Registry ACLs in 4.313 seconds.
Setting Profile ACL... Done.
Set Profile ACL in 2109.112 seconds.
Creating Profile registry keys... Done.
Adding new account to local groups... Done.
Setting USER as default logon... Done.
Migration Complete!

jae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:15pm
I have experienced this on all Windows 10 Pro migrations I have tried, have not found a solution yet.
wleddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wleddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:38pm
I had the same experience. For me it was necessary to have the account be a member of the local users group (BUILTIN\Users) when in the new domain. I had to tweak a group policy that was setting this as a restricted group. After restarting I had a normal desktop. Normally this isn't an issue as Domain Users is a member by default, but the domain I'm migrating to is delegated at a lower level and we don't allow everyone access to our workstations.
Capdam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 2:17am
Hello,
Same problem for me, all Windows 10 pro encounter this issue.
I send an email to support to point out the situation months ago but never get a reply :/
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 5:13am
The black screen after sign-in indicates that the user does not have sufficient access to the registry. The main cause of this issue is addressed in build 3.12.1229

If you continue to have a problem, please contact support@ForensiT.com
Capdam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

The black screen after sign-in indicates that the user does not have sufficient access to the registry. The main cause of this issue is addressed in build 3.12.1229

If you continue to have a problem, please contact support@ForensiT.com

I tried build 3.12.1229 as suggested and i can happily report that windows 10 pro migration now works like a charm !
Thank you and great job !
CavemanSean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavemanSean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:07pm
Hi there, we've got a PC showing the exact same results but... for the life of me, I cannot find this 1229 build.

I've even used the Search tool and only had 1 result show.
Any help would be appreciated.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:44am
The current version of User Profile Wizard on our downloads page is build 1229.
CavemanSean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavemanSean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:53am
Odd, I could have sworn when I Downloaded it yesterday it said 1225, my apologies & thankyou for the prompt reply.

Looks like this has not resolved the issue for me;
Any other ideas?

I was able to get this to work.. a round about way, but it worked.

We restored the profiles data (ran ProfWiz again and went from the broken domain profile back to the local profile)
Then because the PC was now on the domain, ran ProfWiz as the domain administrator and this caused it to work.

So it still looks like there may be a permissions bug / issue?

Edited by CavemanSean - 26 Sep 2017 at 5:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic