ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migration succeeds but permission denied

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roaima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migration succeeds but permission denied
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:48pm
I'm using the User Profile Wizard 3.11 to migrate a number of PCs to our AD domain.

For all of them except the most recent the process has been painless - kudos to Forensit.

Today's PC is running a German version of Windows 10. (Languages haven't been a problem elsewhere.) As usual, I joined the PC to the domain, rebooted, and then ran the User Profile Wizard. The migration appeared to succeed and the PC rebooted as usual.

However, when the user logged in with their domain account, all sorts of strange things didn't work. We had desktop and taskbar icons. But the Start button wouldn't work (nothing happened when left or right clicking). File Explorer popped up a dialog saying essentially "Permission denied". The Cortana / Search box wouldn't accept input.

I checked permissions on C:\Users\ina (the account directory I'd migrated) and the domain account rights were present - as expected. Arbitrarily chosen files within the account were also checked and they too had the inherited rights - just as expected.

The domain administrator account can log in, but I can't see any problems with the user's file permissions.

In the end I unjoined the PC and reverted the profile to the PC account, whereupon everything started working correctly again.

I don't believe the PC has been joined to Azure - at least, I can't find any evidence for this. However, I checked the user's domain login with both xyz@dom.ain and DOMAIN\xyz format logins but there was no difference in the end result.

Any suggestions, please?

Many thanks,
Chris

rockspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:51pm
Hi Chris,
I have almost identical problem. Did you find the answer to your issue?
Thanks
Rocco
roaima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roaima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:29am
Originally posted by rockspirit rockspirit wrote:

Did you find the answer to your issue?

Not yet, but it's only been a few days since I posted my question.

I'll be in the local office where this issue arises next week, so I'm hoping to be able to investigate more easily and fully when I'm actually sat in front of the PC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic