ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help connecting to workstation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgriffi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help connecting to workstation
    Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:33am
i don't understand this part, when connecting to a workgroup computer i'm prompted for credentials.  nothing seems to work.

can't be domain credentials as its not in the domain, but at anyrate i gave that a shot
-domain\admin
-pass

so i tried the local admin accts
-pc\admin
pass

also nothing, am i missing something?

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 11:35am

We can't see the images you've posted here. As you say, you can't use domain credentials because the machine is not joined to the domain, so you need to use local admin credentials.

There are a number of reasons why the connection might be refused. The first thing to check is whether the firewall on the machine is blocking the connection.

If you send your images to support@ForensiT.com we post them up here.

Thanks.
mlmill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:39am
I am also having this issue.  I turned off the firewall and made sure print and file sharing is enabled.  When I enter the local administrator account information in the wizard and click OK, the screen just comes back asking me for credentials again... no error messages... just keeps repeating when trying to connect to remote workstation.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 11:04am

If the Wizard continues to ask you for credentials, it is because the credentials you are supplying are being rejected by the workstation you are trying to connect to.

It is worth trying specifying the username as WORKSTATION_NAME\username - although User Profile Wizard usually handles this.

It may be the case that the "Network acccess: Sharing and security model for local accounts" Local Computer Policy needs to be set to  "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves" under Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security settings/Local Policies/Security Options. To check this start MMC and add the "Local Computer Policy" snapin.
mlmill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 11:05am
Found it... it was the fact that "simple file sharing" was enabled.  Uncheck this option and all works!
cweiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cweiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:12pm

I am having the same issue. Where is "simple file sharing" located?

mlmill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:21pm

Open 'My Computer' and click on 'Tools' and 'Folder Options' and then click on the 'View' tab.  Under the 'Advanced settings:" area scroll all the way to the last entry 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)' and UNCHECK this box.  That should be it...

cweiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cweiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 2:23pm
Thanks, that was it. Although, it doesn't help much if I have to touch all of the desktops before I do a remote migration.

Does Forensit have any solutions to offer for this? I have 120 computers to migrate, and am planning to purchase the Enterprise version if I can complete a proof of concept with the Personal Edition.
mlmill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 2:34pm
cweiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cweiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 3:21pm
I got access denied, because I have no permission on that machine. I tried using runas to no avail, but it is flashing so quickly, I can't tell if I am getting an error.

Something I stumbled across on Microsoft's website. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
There is an icon for "Microsoft Fix It". I right clicked and did a save as, and saved the .msi file. Worst case, I figure I can email it to the users and ask them to run it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic