ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

profile migration and user folder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricGus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: profile migration and user folder
    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 1:13pm
Used profwiz 3.11 to move domain1/user1 to domain2/user2

Process used:
    unjoin domain1
    join domain2
    login as user2 to let win10-1903 create the profile
    run profwiz, selected domain1/user1 and dest of domain2 (autopopulated) user2.

After migration, the profile is still using the users/user1 folder structure on the pc.  It also appears the users folder created by logging in as the new user (before profile migration) appears unused. I didn't find anything offhand in the forums on the subject.

c:\users\
user2 11/15/2019 7:34am
user1 11/15/2019 8:35am

logging is as user2, userprofile=c:\users\user1 and username=user2

Isn't the migration supposed to do a complete move including the folder name?                  

Edited by EricGus - 15 Nov 2019 at 1:18pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:03am
No. That's not how it is supposed to work

User Profile Wizard does not move, copy or delete any data. Instead it configures the existing profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new account.

You should never sign-in as the new user before running the migration: migrate the profile to the new user account first, and let User Profile Wizard join the new domain for you.

The Freeware Edition does not rename the profile folder - you will need either the Professional Edition or the Corporate Edition to do that.

The current release version is 3.17 not 3.11. (You should not use version 3.11 on Windows 10.)

Edited by Support - 18 Nov 2019 at 4:04am
jyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:39pm
I had a similar issue. My PC was in domain1 logged in as user1, joined domain2, logged in as user2. Then ran profwiz to migrate domain1\user1 profile to domain2\user2 profile, not knowing this was wrong. now my profile path is C:\users\user1 even though I am logged in as domain2\user2. Now that I know what I did wrong, how do I go back and fix this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic