ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can no loner login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanwaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can no loner login
    Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 4:43pm
Just download the trial of User Profile Manager.  Installed it on a Windows 7 Professional box.  Stand alone workstation not connected to a Domain or anything.  Copied a user profile into the Default profile.  Created a new test user account to see if it would work.  Logged out of the machine.  Now NONE of the ID's can login!  I'm at the Windows 7 login screen.  The icons for the local users are on the screen waiting to be clicked.  When I click on any of them, the account name just under the account icon disappears....and that's it......nothing else happens!   WOW!  This is just a testing workstation so I didn't lose any data or anything, but now I'm stuck and have to reload the O/S. 

Common event?  Or this just a fluke?

Thanks
Dean Waters
Rentrak Corporation
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 3:54am
Hi Dean,

I'm sorry that you have had this problem. The problem occurs if you do not assign the user account(s) a password. User Profile Manager needs users to have passwords in order to manage the profiles on the machine. Now what should happen is that you should get a polite message telling you this. Unfortunately there appears to be a bug where you don't see anything. We will work urgently to get this fixed.

You do not need to reload the O/S. Just reboot the machine in safe mode and either assign a password to the accounts, or uninstall the software.

Thank you for bring this to our attention.
deanwaters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanwaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the quick reply.  Since this was a lab-workstation used for testing, I just reloaded the OS.  Did the same thing again though.  This time it did give me the polite message about logging in with an un-managed profile --- but it still wouldn't let me get passed the login screen.  Reloaded the OS again.  3rd time I got it right - put a password on the account and it worked.

D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic