ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outlook issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outlook issues
    Posted: 14 May 2007 at 4:48pm

Hello folks

So I typically logged into a Workgroup on my PC. I just had my PC added to a Domain by the desktop support folks. I am using the User Profile Wizard.

The only way I can print on the network is to be logged in to the Domain (no IP printing either here!)

I would like to use my local account settings/profile

What account should I be logged in with when I run the wizard?

I ran the wizard from the local account and shared the profiles

When I log into the domain account I see my desktop and My Documents from the local profile however when I start Outlook it is as though I am running Outlook for the first time?

How do I transfer all of my Outlook preferences to the new Domain account

Thanks

Bryan

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 9:04pm

Hi Bryan,

The only requirement when you run the Wizard is that you are logged on as an Administrator. Generally speaking you don't need to do anything to transfer your Outlook preferences. The only settings that are not migrated are passwords which are encrypted with your credentials.

Are you using Cached Mode in Outlook? Which version of Windows and Outlook do you have?

bgillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:07pm
Outlook version:
2003 (11.8002.6568) SP2

Windows version:
XP Pro 2002 SP2

Yes I am using Cached Mode in Outlook

I am also the administrator of the PC

Thanks for the assistance
Bryan
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 7:46pm
Thanks Bryan. We will certainly try to assist, but we will need to try and reproduce the problem. Can I just confirm: your domain account has admin rights to the machine?

Edited by Support - 21 May 2007 at 7:46pm
bgillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:56pm
Yes it does, it is in the adminsitrators group and it has access to the Documents & Settings

Thanks
Bryan
AndrewG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:08pm
Two years on and i get this problem. Using Windows XP SP3 migrating form a local profile in a workgroup to a domain profile.

Office 2007 settings and bookmarks for Firefox did not migrate. Interestingly IE8 settings did migrate. Outlook asked me to complete the wizard as though i had never used it before.

I used an account that does have domain admin rights and (through groups) local admin rights too.

My documents and desktop all came over fine, however.

Any ideas? This was a test and i'd like this to be resolved before i migrate the company. Thanks.

-Andrew G

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 6:58am

Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry you've had a problem. It is very unusual to have any kind of issue with Outlook. If this happens again, check the permissions on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook registry keys. Also check the Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folders in the profile folder. It could be that there are some strange permissions set here, although version 3.0 of the Wizard explicitly checks for non-inherited permsissions.

Some Firefox serttings are not migrated. This is because they appear to be stored by user name rather than by using the standard Windows profile APIs. We are looking to fix this in a future build.

mutu26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutu26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Hi Bryan,

The only requirement when you run the Wizard is that you are logged on as an Administrator. Generally speaking you don't need to do anything to transfer your Outlook preferences. The only settings that are not migrated are passwords which are encrypted with your credentials.

Are you using Cached Mode in Outlook? Which version of Windows and Outlook do you have?

There are some similar problems in my ms outlook. And only this morning I had probably found out a proper solution. The tool has many positive resources for working out all kind of problem with ms outlook emails - pst recovery outlook 2007.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic