ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Profile Wizard Stalled at Setting Profile ACL...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Profile Wizard Stalled at Setting Profile ACL...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFJSGeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
I ran across the same issue. Hung for about an hour or more.

I started by trying to disable Windows Defender in the settings, although it seemed to keep turning itself back on.

I then started ending tasks that seemed to be safe to end, such as programs I knew could be turned off.

Then all of a sudden it completed. Not sure which task was the last one I ended.
Rene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 5:56pm
I ran into the same issue. Stuck at Setting Profile ACL

My setup is using ProfWiz Pro from server and 'push' the setup to, in case, a laptop. Migrating from old domain to new domain and changing the user profile.

I decided to try CFJSGeek idea and began to try and stop processes on the laptop. I was logged in as a local user on the laptop so when I tried to stop Bonjour update, I was asked for creds to proceed. I was just about to enter them when I noticed on the server that the migration phase began again and then finished.

It's as if I woke the laptop up, I had been sending pings to the laptop and they were responding but the laptop would not show in a net view command. I was worried it had gone into limbo and became a zombie or at the worst, a bricked system.

So if it was just the attempt to stop a process which triggered the process to continue I can not say for sure, but here is the time it took to finish setting profile ACL's:

Setting Profile ACL... Done.
Set Profile ACL in 2682.956 seconds.

That's like 45 minutes... well I can say for the other 20 computers we migrated using the tool it was almost flawless. I have other issues but better asked in another thread. ( Redirected folders migrating to another set of redirected folders.)
xisplo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xisplo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:33am
Hey, another bump from the dead.

I just had this issue occur on a windows 10 pro machine, ending SearchUI was the solution....

My suggestion for all of you users of this magnificent application:

run > msconfig > disable all no ms start ups and non essentials
reboot
run the application under an administrator account/profile

thank you,
Peter
Paulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:49am
I had this problem too. The job was executing during 3 hours!
As I understood, it is nesessary to rewrite file security attributes (change the owner, user permissions etc.) for all the files in the profile, or even the entire disk where nesessary. So it is does not matter how large is the user profile, but how many files it has. You need to clear all the file cache, temporary files, clear the recycle bin, etc, to speed up the process.

Edited by Paulus - 18 Nov 2018 at 10:50am
rodderix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodderix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:12pm
We ran into the same issue but found out the problem using procmon. It wasn't stuck but processing more than 200k Chrome cache files in "code cache" folder. I deleted the files, rerun the migration and finished in a few minutes.
Oneshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 3:06pm
So has anybody found a definitive way to avoid this " setting acl's " hanging during the migration. I'm trying to my great a traditional active directory domain to azure and I'm getting this error on three out three transfers I've run. Sometimes I can just restart the computer and everything has transferred, but I'm afraid I might be missing some files when doing it this way. Running the MS. Config and closing all non-essential applications before running on an admin account. Anybody know our figure out what is actually hanging the transfer??
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 4:46pm
Hi, 

If the migration process is stopping at 'Setting Profile ACL...' this is most likely due to an AV or Security tool blocking the process. We know Carbon Black blocks this activity, and there could be other AV tools that do also. 

The software does not move, copy or delete any data. Instead it configures the existing profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new account. If the migration has stopped at this point, the files are still in the original folder, but they have not been reACL'd for the new user account. 

The other possibility, is that the reACL process is still ongoing and needs more time to complete. The time it will take for Windows to reACL the folder will vary based on the size of the profile and the speed of the computer. 

Please note, this original post is from over 10 years ago, the majory, it not all of this thread will be no longer valid (except this reply).

Many thanks,

Support.

Edited by Support - 24 Oct 2023 at 4:48pm
Oneshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 6:52pm
So I keep having the same issue with multiple computers with the setting Profile ACL.. being where I get Stuck I have uninstalled AV Im wondering if windows defender could be stopping it. is there anyway to see in the Task manager if the migration tool is still working 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 11:06am
Hi, 

How big are the profiles? 

If the process appears to be stopping at 'Setting Profile ACL', it is either being blocked by an AV or Security tool (we know Carbon Black blocks this, there could be others that do too), or if the profile is large it will take Windows longer to reACL the profile.

Unless something has terminated the Wizard from running, I think you'll see it present in Task Manager in both cases - whether it's running or whether it's been blocked, so I don't think that will help you. If the profiles are small (lets say less than 2 or 3gb), and if the process has not completed within a few minutes (lets say ~5), then I expect something is blocking it.

Many thanks,

Support.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic