ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I doing this right?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I doing this right?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:37am
I am looking at using this product for a clean SBS 2011 install.   Currently, we have a SBS 2003 server with 5 workstations all joined to domain "XYZ".   I am NOT doing the Microsoft SBS Migration method, instead I am building our new server with SBS 2011 as a clean install.   I realize I will have to1) migrate over user profiles, 2) migrate server data/shares, etc...
The new domain is ALSO going to be called "XYZ".  (same old old domain).

Am I getting these steps right?  (using Profile Wizard 3.6 free edition).

1. Build new SBS 2011 server with "XYZ" as the domain.
2. Un-join the 5 PCs from the old "XYZ" domain and join to a workgroup.
3. Create the same user accounts on the new "XYZ" domain on SBS 2011 server.
4. When the 5 PCs are joined to workgroup, run the Profile Wizard logged in as a the local administrator.
5. Select "XYZ" as domain name (and enable Join Domain) and enter "User1" as the user
6. When wizard asks to select the OLD user, I select "XYZ\User1"  ??  or... since I previously joined it to a Workgroup, is that all messed up..?

I'm a bit confused by this process.  I just want to make sure that, the old domain user profiles will still be accessible/transferable to the new domain, even when the machine has been unjoined from the old domain and put into a workgroup.  Having the old and new domains on the network at the same time isn't really easy to do so prefer not to do that...

I can't afford to LOSE my user's profile settings... so need the migration to occur properly or I'l never hear the end of it. 

Edited by jrink - 05 Jul 2012 at 11:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic