ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joing Computers to new Domain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtrivedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joing Computers to new Domain
    Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 7:19am
Hi I'm using the vbscript file generated by ProfWiz deployment kit to migrate computers. Have put all the necessary files on a share and run the vb script from every desktop/laptop. The CSV file contains the old and new names of computer. The machine accounts with old names exist on the target domain.

When I use the migrate.vbs file everything is fine...just that on the target domain now I see the old and well as new accounts (with respect to names). Doesn't profwiz delete the old names ? I thought it renames the old to new and thus we will not have the issue of having 2 computer accounts.

Anyone knows this issue or how to solve this ?

will appreciate it.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 8:11am
User Profile Wizard renames the local machine from the old name to the new name: it does not rename computer accounts in the domain. As you have seen, it creates a new account with the name you have specified.

The Wizard is primarily a domain migration tool. As such, it is designed to move workstations into a new domain whether the computer account didn't previously exist.
gtrivedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtrivedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 8:55am
Hi there, Thanks for the prompt reply. So do we actually need the machine accounts created (with old names) in the target domain before running this tool on computers to make them join the target domain?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 9:13am
Hi,

No you don't. User Profile Wizard will create the computer account for you.
spryor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 7:35am
I moved my computer and profile into a test Domain and now I am trying to migrate to the production Domain I receive the Error "The Domain Controller cannot be found."  Make sure that you have specified a valid domain name.....which I have, so what is the problem?Ouch 
HELP
spryor
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 7:45am
It is almost certainly a DNS problem. See "Finding Domain Controller Fails.." in the "Troubleshooting" section of the User Guide. If your machine is still joined to the test domain, does the test domain DC have a "forwarders" entry for the production domain?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic