Print Page | Close Window

Updating Store App

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Domain Migration
Forum Description: User Profile Wizard questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: https://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1329
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Updating Store App
Posted By: ITJohn
Subject: Updating Store App
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 2:54pm
After I migrate a user and login for the first time, Windows 10 goes through a process of "Updating Store App 1 of 63" all the way through to 63 of 63 and in one case this took quite a long time > 1 hour. (The number of apps varies from machine to machine). The user does not get logged in to the desktop until this process finishes so it can vastly increase the time the migration takes.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here and is it necessary or is there a way to prevent it?

Replies:
Posted By: Harlan
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 2:26pm
I'm also looking for information regarding this and whether or not we need to have the forensit service running after the migration is complete

Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 5:30am
When you first sign-in to Windows 10 you see a lot of multi-coloured screens saying stuff like “We’re glad you’re here… Getting a few things ready… etc…” This is Windows installing Store/Metro/Universal Apps. When you migrate a profile with User Profile Wizard, Apps still need to be installed for the new user, so you see “Updating Store App 1 of 63” instead.

The component of User Profile Wizard 3.11 that updates Windows Store Apps for the new user account is the ForensiTAppxService. ForensiTAppxService does not know when you will login or how many profiles you have migrated. In a corporate environment it might be months before a user logs in on a shared machine, so the service stays installed.

If you are certain all profiles have been migrated, you can download https://www.forensit.com/support-downloads.html - DefProf and uninstall the service by running

Defprof /DeleteAppxService

We know that this is not ideal, so we are looking at counting the number of profile migrations and uninstalling the service automatically when the Store Apps for all migrated users have been updated.

Posted By: ITJohn
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 10:57am
Support - Thank you for the information. I would like to follow up on my question because I am not sure I fully understand all of it and how I should go about things.

I am migrating several machines (two dozen or so from "Workgroup" to a domain) and they all are used exclusively by one individual - no shared machines - so for each machine, there is only one profile to migrate. And, after the migration, I login as that user immediately to make sure that all is good before I return the computer to the user.

So, it sounds like you are saying that when I login for the first time as the migrated user (now on the domain), the store app process is going to occur and I have to just let it do it's thing. It also sounds like you are saying that after I have logged in as the migrated user, I should run DefProf. This would also mean I should go back to the computers I have already migrated and run DefProf.

Do I have all of this right?

TIA!

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 5:52am
The store app process is going to occur, and yes - you have to let it do its thing.

Having the ForensiTAppxService installed is not going to cause any problems at all. However, if you want to uninstall it you can.

Posted By: DigitalCorner
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:23am
how do we go about disabling this?
i have run the Defprof /DeleteAppxService however still runs the updating store app 1 of 30 for me.

this is in relation to new users logging in and creating new profiles.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:49am
Windows Store/Metro apps must be registered for each user. If you are using DefProf, then Windows won't run the "Just getting things ready..." procedure which registers the apps the first time a user signs in, so DefProf has to.

The only way around this is to remove the apps (or at least as many of them as possible) from the machine. If you want to do that you can do so using the Remove-Appxpackage applet in Powershell. (You should do that before running DefProf.)

If however you want to use Metro apps, they have to be registered.

Posted By: mcbsys
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:38am
I too used User Profile Wizard 3.12 and was surprised several weeks later to find the ForensiT AppX Management Service quietly running. I think I understand now what it does and why it is necessary. May I suggest the following improvements:

- Document the service in the User Profile Wizard User Guide. In 100 pages, the only mention is the AppxUpdateAsync switch, which would only apply to the corporate edition. Include:  when the service is installed, what it does, when and how it can be removed.

- A program that installs a service should not require downloading another program to remove the service. I've always appreciated the portable, no-install-required nature of ProfWiz, but maybe that needs to die with Windows 10 due to this need to monitor for new logins. In that case, you could use ProfWiz.msi to install and uninstall the service, clarifying during uninstallation that it should only be uninstalled after all migrated users have logged on. Or, to keep it portable, add a UI or command-line option to ProfWiz.exe (including the Personal Edition) to remove this service.

In the meantime, I assume the following will remove the  service:

1. In Task Manager, kill ForensiTAppxService.exe.

2. At a command prompt, remove the service:

sc delete ForensiTAppxService

3. From Windows Explorer, delete the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\ForensiT\AppX Management Service" and the file it contains.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net