Print Page | Close Window

DefProf 1.11 and Windows 10 2016 LTSB

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Desktop Management
Forum Discription: User Profile Manager questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: http://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1392
Printed Date: 16 Jul 2019 at 9:23am

Topic: DefProf 1.11 and Windows 10 2016 LTSB
Posted By: vmsk
Subject: DefProf 1.11 and Windows 10 2016 LTSB
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:08pm
Hello!

First, thank you for making this great tool! I stumbled upon this after searching for a solution to Windows 7's loss of the "Copy To" feature. Today, I just tried DefPro 1.11 on Win10 2016 LTSB and found a few settings didn't carry over from the Default User to the new one:

In the Modern "Settings" App…
System > Default Apps > Photo Viewer
Devices > AutoPlay
Start > Show Recently Added Apps
Privacy > Background Apps

From Start (button) > Search (app) > My Device History

Classic "Control Panel" App…
File Explorer Options > View (tab) > Show Libraries
Mouse > Pointers (tab) > Scheme
Security & Maintenance > Change Security & Maintenance Settings > "Security Messages," and also "Maintenance Messages"
System > Advanced (tab) > Performance > Visual Effects (tab)
System > Advanced (tab) > Remote > Remote Assistance
Troubleshooting > Change Settings

I did do a quick search on this forum, but didn't see anything similar. So, should I assume the above settings are not stored in the Default User's profile? Or, should I be using a different product?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies:
Posted By: redrice
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:04am
Default apps stick with my default profile. I changed the web browser from Edge to IE and I changed .pdf files to be read by Adobe Reader. I believe all other settings in the Modern "Settings" App will save as well.

As far as control Panel settings go, I have not tested them myself.

Since the Default app change didn't stick for you, I imagine you might have missed a step in the process of using defprof and/or testing it. It happens to the best of us.

Posted By: vmsk
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 9:00pm
Thanks for your reply redrice. I did discover a missing step; once your desired profile has been fully configured, you must perform a reboot before running DefProf as the Administrator. That brought over most of the items I listed except for:

AutoPlay
Mouse Pointer
Security & Maintenance Settings

Those don't appear to be stored within the standard user profile structure. I found alternate workarounds for AutoPlay and the Mouse Pointer. But the last one escapes me. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Print Page | Close Window