Print Page | Close Window

Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Move Computer
Forum Description: User Profile Transfer Wizard questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: https://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1413
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer
Posted By: whooper
Subject: Issues with Modern Apps after Transfer
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:41am
We are using Transwiz 1.10.1075 to transfer profiles from Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 (Anniversary upgrade) machines. Consistently after the transfer the Sticky Notes Modern app will not run. It just displays a white box that goes away after a while. My understanding is that this Sticky Notes app was created as part of the Anniversary upgrade.

On the same machine any new profiles (not migrated) work, so it seems to be something that Transwiz is missing or adding to the profile causing the problem. I can reproduce the issue on multiple machines on two different AD domains.

As a test, I created a new AD user, logged into the Win7 machine (for the first time), created a sticky note, then transferred the profile. I can provide this ~2mb transfer file if it is needed for testing.

I tested all the "fixes" I could find as far as removing and re-registering the Apps and all of them boil down to "recreate the profile", which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies:
Posted By: tdickert
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 4:22pm
That seems to be a theme with Transwiz. We have experienced issues with store apps, even the built-in ones, after having transferred a profile from an earlier or even the same version of Windows. Sorry, but there don't seem to be any fixes or workarounds. At least not that I am aware of. It would be nice if Transwiz could just ignore store apps and let the users just redownload any that they may have got from the Store. Anything as long as it doesn't break them!

Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 11:25am
We believe that there can be a problem with Windows Store Apps if the version of the Apps on the target machine does not match the version on the source machine; for example, if you transfer a profile to a newly imaged machine that has not been fully updated, from a machine that is fully up to date. We are working on an update for this.

If you experience this problem, and you have the Professional Edition, you can merge the transferred profile with a new “clean”/default profile on the target machine.

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 8:46am
The source machine is a Windows 7 machine, so it should not have any settings for the App store.

Unfortunately we do not have the Professional Edition.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:57am
I tried an evaluation copy of TransWiz Professional. I removed the profile, logged in as the user, logged out and used the same transfer file to merge the profile. After doing these steps, the Sticky Notes app does work.

I guess that points to something not getting created correctly when creating the profile from scratch using TransWiz.

Posted By: kraft
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:34am
I am also experiencing this issue with all of our 70+ users that were migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I'm trying to pinpoint what settings are causing the problem with the profile but have so far not had any luck. I can confirm the problem is isolated to the profile as a fresh profile will launch Sticky Notes without an error.

If there is any solution for this other than a profile merge (something I can go back to my users and execute to get their Sticky Notes to work) please let me know!

Thank you.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:49am
We are investigating why there should be some problem with Sticky Notes. In the meantime you can try the following.

1. On the machine, sign-in with an account where Sticky Notes is working. Run Powershell and enter the following command

Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes

Make a note of the "InstallLocation" it will be something like "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.0.136.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe", but will depend on the version number.

2. Sign-in as the user and run Powershell. Enter the following command using the InstallLocation path from step 1 (make sure you add "\AppXManifest.xml" to the path):

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.0.136.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml"

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:08am
I think I tried this from searching the web for a solution, but I tried again just in case. For the record, this is the command I used:

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.3.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml"

No change in behavior, Sticky notes still doesn't work.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:44am
So do you get an error when you run this command?

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 11:17am
No, it brings up a brief progress bar and returns to the the PowerShell prompt. I also rebooted after and it did not work after the reboot either.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:29am
If the Sticky Notes app is being installed cleanly, check the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational event log (System Tools/Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Apps/Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log) in the Computer Management Console. Look for errors related to the Sticky Notes app.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:29am
The only event for StickyNotes for that user says:

Quote The app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.

There is are other entries for other apps like that. The only other entry is:

Quote The description for Event ID 105 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The message id for the desired message could not be found

This second event I am receiving for the users that is working, however.

I would be happy to supply the trans.zip file if that would help troubleshooting the issue. I created a fresh test user to verify the issue on another domain.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:10pm
I also tried the posted solution without success.  I grabbed some screens to show what is happening:

http://imgur.com/a/0bSIN - http://imgur.com/a/0bSIN

The reinstall seems to complete successfully, but Sticky Notes still do not open on my Windows 10 box after using TransWiz to move the profile.

Thank you for your help!

-K

Posted By: Brandon
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
had a similar problem yesterday after transfering a profile from windows 8 to 10, all modern apps including the start menu weren't working but thanks to procmon I've noticed that windows couldn't access HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActivableClasses so I've fixed it by adding the read permission for "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
Thanks for the reply.  I've checked and that permission already exists for my machine so no dice.  Censored

By the way, I have done Procman traces on a working and non-working machine but I can't seem to find the discrepancy between them.  If there's someone that's better and comparing traces I'd be happy to make them available to you!

-Kevin

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

If the Sticky Notes app is being installed cleanly, check the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational event log (System Tools/Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Apps/Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log) in the Computer Management Console. Look for errors related to the Sticky Notes app.

I get the following event in this log after starting the app:

Event 5950: Apps
The app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.

But that's it.  There are previous events/errors in the log from a few days prior which I believe were from when I attempted the reinstall, but can't confirm the conditions that fired them:

Event 1621, Apps

Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App attempted. Execution state: Attempted activation of the app, 0, The operation completed successfully..

Event 5990, Apps
Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with Server execution failed.

Event 5961, Apps
Activation of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The app didn't start..

Event 5985, Apps
ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with The app didn't start..

These are all within a few seconds of each other.  How this helps nail down the issue!  It's a big complaint from my users following our migration to Windows 10.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
-KK

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:15am
An update on this... We are now able to reproduce the problem. (Many thanks to the customer who donated their transfer file.) We will do our best to find out what's going on.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

An update on this... We are now able to reproduce the problem. (Many thanks to the customer who donated their transfer file.) We will do our best to find out what's going on.

Excellent!  I will be eagerly awaiting your solution. 
If there is anything I can provide to assist, please do not hesitate to ask!

-K

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:44am
In our testing, the problem with Sticky Notes was caused by the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PenWorkspace registry key being missing in the transferred profile. (This key is not present on previous versions of Windows, and Transwiz does not currently create it.)

To fix this, you can export the key from another profile, and then import it into the problem profile as the user. (You can also download the file https://www.ForensiT.com/Downloads/Forum/PenWorkspace.txt - here . You will need to rename it .reg.) You must sign out and sign-in again for the registry key to take effect.

Note that this will only work if the App is correctly installed. (Although we did not have to do anything other than create the registry key.)

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
Importing the registry keys fixed our test machine. Thank you for digging into this issue and finding a fix.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net