Print Page | Close Window

Outlook not working after migration

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Domain Migration
Forum Description: User Profile Wizard questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: https://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1543
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Outlook not working after migration
Posted By: matejbalun
Subject: Outlook not working after migration
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 9:36am
Ran the profile wizard on a Win 10 machine to move to a new domain with new credentials. Everything went smoothly.

Everything is working as it should except for Outlook 2016. After trying to launch Outlook once logged in under the new account I got an error saying Outlook couldn't access the OST file.

Since we are running Office 365 I figured I'd just delete the old Outlook profile and create a new one. However I cannot get Outlook to allow me to create a profile, I get an error as soon as I type in the email address that I'm trying to create a profile for.

Odd thing is that I can log into a clean user account on the same computer and Outlook will work just fine, letting me add a profile without an issue.

Anyone ran into this issue before?

Thank You

Replies:
Posted By: fets84
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:08am
Same Problem here.Solved it by disabling ADAL Microsoft Authentification in registry:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\EnableADAL
REG_DWORD 0

Please fix this

Posted By: matejbalun
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:16am
Awesome, that worked. Thanks for the solution.

Posted By: fets84
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 4:01am
Hi ForensiT Staff, can you please give us an answer, because this issue is very annoying.

thank you.

Posted By: jfed31
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:41am
Our problem manifested a little differently, but this registry tweak solved our problem as well. After migration, some of our users were unable connect Office 365 services (OneDrive, SharePoint) to their Office apps. The 365 login screen would appear, then after entering the email address it would give a loading window for a moment and disappear.

Disabling ADAL authentication was the key, for anyone else with this variation of the problem. Thanks for posting - I couldn't find where to change this setting anywhere!

Posted By: AgentBlue
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm
Had a somewhat similar issue with Outlook 2013 on Win7/Win10. Connecting to POP mail server no longer works after migrating profiles with the User Profile Wizard Corporate Edition. Our errors were path to pst not valid on some machines which was corrected by pointing it to the new path, and on all machines send/receive would fail to connect. Tried repairing the mail profile and a few other things with no luck, completely deleting the profile from the mail settings in the Windows control panel and recreating it was one way we could correct the issue. Another was "Solution #4" at the link below, which basically has us change the incoming mail folder to a new pst and then back to the original inbox. This works for us an is much quicker than recreating the mail profile from scratch. Of course if anyone knows of a better solution it would be welcome. I have emailed support, but no response yet.

http://expert-advice.org/microsoft-outlook/fix-error-0x8004010f-outlook-data-file-cannot-accessed/ - http://expert-advice.org/microsoft-outlook/fix-error-0x8004010f-outlook-data-file-cannot-accessed/

Posted By: leepickersgill
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:50am
Hi Was anyone able to resolve this issue?

We have tried a migration today and seeing the same issue with outlook 2016

Posted By: shivgupta
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 5:34am
To fix your Outlook related issues, you can get some help from this article: http://https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blog/top-10-outlook-errors-and-ways-to-fix-them/%20 - https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blog/top-10-outlook-errors-and-ways-to-fix-them/

Posted By: JohnMSP
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:24am
Spent ages with this one as part of an Azure AD cloud only to Azure AD / AD hybrid setup.

Disabling ADAL wasn't an option as we use MFA.

We found it wasn't just Outlook broken - none of the Office 365 apps could sign in either.

Ultimately I found the issue: there's a token that needs resetting in the user profile directory.

Rename the folder that starts "Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin" in %appdata%\local\packages\ to something else (you will need to be logged in as another user to do this) and then log out, then in as the user. You should find Outlook and other Office apps now work as expected.

Hope this helps someone - spent an age troubleshooting this one!

Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:25am
In most cases, this problem can be avoided if you sign-out of Office 365 before migrating the profile.

Posted By: medicaustik
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by JohnMSP JohnMSP wrote:

Spent ages with this one as part of an Azure AD cloud only to Azure AD / AD hybrid setup.

Disabling ADAL wasn't an option as we use MFA.

We found it wasn't just Outlook broken - none of the Office 365 apps could sign in either.

Ultimately I found the issue: there's a token that needs resetting in the user profile directory.

Rename the folder that starts "Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin" in %appdata%\local\packages\ to something else (you will need to be logged in as another user to do this) and then log out, then in as the user. You should find Outlook and other Office apps now work as expected.

Hope this helps someone - spent an age troubleshooting this one!

John buddy, you're a hero.

This solution worked for me.

Disabling ADAL is not an option in environments that require MFA.

Posted By: bevege
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

In most cases, this problem can be avoided if you sign-out of Office 365 before migrating the profile.

Any ideas how to permanently logout of office apps? When I go into each individual app (excel, word, outlook) it lets me logout but when I open the app again I'm still logged. I tried logging out of each app and then doing the migration outlook doesn't work. All the other apps are fine. Disabling ADAL fixes the issue but who knows what it may break in the future. Creating a new profile doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Posted By: PerryW
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 6:07am
John,

Not sure what I am doing wrong but this is not working for me, I renamed that folder and logged back in and I could see that I was signed in but as soon as I tried to connect to OneDrive/SharePoint it asked for credentials and then the password box vanished again.

Am I missing something, I've tried removing all credentials in credential manager but to no avail.

Cheers Perry

Posted By: jkaufman
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 5:58pm
I am having the same issue

Posted By: bevege
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:30pm
So I finally figured this out. Such a PITA. The reason I couldn't log out of any office app had to do with a previously unknown O365 install. I noticed that none of the New O365 installs were registering on the O365 portal. IE, when I looked at the "Office Installs" for each user they said no installations or whatever. It was odd because they appeared to activate but it said no installations.

This article explains how to fix the problem.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/odsupport/2015/05/01/how-to-reset-an-office-365-install-to-the-initial-activationinstall-state/ - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/odsupport/2015/05/01/how-to-reset-an-office-365-install-to-the-initial-activationinstall-state/

I only had to do steps 1 and 3. I did not do anything in the registry. After all this I could then log out and stay logged out of all Office apps. I did a manual migration and it worked as expected. I also confirmed with Microsoft that this is the recommended method to fix the issue. Didn't want to break anything else.

Now I need to figure out how to map the local profile names to new domain profile names while doing an scripted migration.  I tried but it wasn't working.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Posted By: bowlofpixels
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 1:25pm
Having the same issues. New profile works fine. Ran Office manual uninstall tool and reinstalled, cleared keys via ospp.vbs file. We don't show an ADAL registry entry. This is a huge issue as we have 100+ users that will need to be migrated. Get it together Microsoft!

Posted By: BigBlue05
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:15pm
JohnMSP, you are a genius! I was banging my head against this one for hours.

Huge help.

Thank you very much.

Posted By: KLCRYCMSP
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:04pm
@JohnMSP

I want to buy you a coffee, I was about to open up a support request and found this post, thank you!

ps: how did you figure it out?

Posted By: bowlofpixels
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 12:42pm
Confirming that disabling ADAL is the only thing that's worked for us. Hopefully parent company doesn't want to go MFA any time soon.

Posted By: aidzbruhh
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:46pm
John MSP, you are a legend.

I had this issue and was pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot it. After doing this it worked straight away. Created an account just to say thanks.

On ya Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: JohnMSP
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 2:14am
Great stuff - glad to hear it!

Posted By: kpmsmu
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 3:01pm
I'm seeing a variation on the original theme.  I used the migration tool to move a machine from one domain to another and to migrate one user.  The user cannot launch Outlook, because access is denied to the .ost file.  Disabling ADAL might fix it for others, but isn't an option (nor a good idea).  I haven't tried renaming the broker folder in this instance, because I don't think that is the issue, although I have used that fix on another machine that had a TPM issue.  But what I noticed in this users's case is that the path to the Outlook.ost file looking something like this:

"\\?\C:\Users\userid\...."

A profile with a working data file path does not have the "\\?\" and I'm wondering if there is some sort of escape code that is getting added to paths via the migration tool?

Perhaps not coincidentally, I have seen similar access denied issues post-migration using the User Profile Transfer tool.  The message there is in the Application event log:

ShellExperienceHost (9772,P,98) TILEREPOSITORYSID-Removed: An attempt to open the device with name "\\.\C:" containing "C:\" failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

Posted By: BigBlue05
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 12:36am
Thank you, John!!

I was at this for hours. This was the last fix I was going to attempt before giving up.

Thanks again, you saved the day for me. Much appreciated!!

Posted By: rdaubner
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:57am
Sorry, what was the fix?

Posted By: RuskinF
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 9:20am
I had the same issue as well. I migrated to Outlook and I faced unresponsive behavior from Outlook.
To remove that unusual behavior from Outlook I had to repeat the migration with technical assistance and I had to perform a batch migration.
Performing the batch migration helped me with the Outlook issue but only after I had reconfigured it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net