Print Page | Close Window

Keeping profile name when migrating away from AD

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Domain Migration
Forum Discription: User Profile Wizard questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: http://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1670
Printed Date: 15 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm

Topic: Keeping profile name when migrating away from AD
Posted By: r00tusr
Subject: Keeping profile name when migrating away from AD
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:56pm
Hey all,

When performing a migration from a domain affiliated computer, is it possible to keep the same profile name? For example:

domain\msmith
to
smith

The issue I have had is that if I define the existing profile and new profile in a user.csv the machine is removed from the domain but nothing happens with the profile data.

As a secondary question, when removing the computer from the domain is there any way to change the computer name? It looks like renaming the machine is only allowed then migrating to a domain.

We are using the enterprise version of Profwiz and pretty much default settings in the ini.

Please let me know if more info is needed.

Replies:
Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:36am
Just so we are talking about the same thing: a user account is represented by the username you sign in to a machine with; a user profile is the data associated with that account, usually stored under C:\Users. (For example, C:\Users\username).

You say you want to keep the same profile [folder?] name, but in your example you are changing it - from msmith to smith. In any case, User Profile Wizard will rename or not rename the profile folder to match the new user account name, depending on the <RenameProfileFolder> value in your Profwiz.config file: by default it is True.

You are correct - you cannot rename a computer when moving from a domain to a workgroup.

Print Page | Close Window