Print Page | Close Window

Outlook2010 does not start after Profile migration

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Domain Migration
Forum Description: User Profile Wizard questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: https://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=287
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Outlook2010 does not start after Profile migration
Posted By: Abdul
Subject: Outlook2010 does not start after Profile migration
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 5:28am
Hello guys there,

I've got the following problem:

I used the User Profile Wizard 3.0 to resign a domain user after we killed the active directory in a microsoft server 2008 sp2 environment.

The affected PC is windows 7 X86 Professional.

We did the following:
- Logging in local administrator
- deleting the profile in the user list and from the profilelist in the registry
- restart
- Logging in local administrator
- adding the profile in the user list with local administrator rights
- Starting User Profile Wizard 3.0 and checked the box "Join Domain" and set a default user name called the profile name.
- Checked the box "show unassigned" and choosed the profile
- Clicked next and after finished, we restarted the computer.
- After loggin in with the "new" Profile account we can't start Outlook 2010 and can't start the "E-Mail" Feature under system control, there the error shows: "It isn't enough free RAM there" or something like that, but we have over 2 GB free RAM.
- So I created another profile with administrator rights, without any files, I mean a brand new user on the computer, there outlook and email function under system control works fine!

I think it is something inbetween the affected user, that I must delete or change or something.

Thanks for your help!
Greetings

PS Sorry for my bad English!

Replies:
Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 6:49am
Hi,

I'm not clear about what you have done Smile  From what you say, there was a domain user account (from an old 2008 domain that no longer exists) with a profile, say  C:\Users\Username. You say you deleted this profile in the user list: I assume that the C:\Users\Username folder was still there though, and you selected it using "show unassigned profile." It sounds like you assigned the profile to a local user account that you created. Is that correct? But then why did you choose "Join domain"?

We have been using Outlook 2010 at ForensiT for a while, and we don't know of any problems.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:21am
Hi,

thanks for your answer!

Well, I try to explain it better, here is the whole story:

We have about 20 user accounts in our active directory, but unfortunately, we deleted all users, because we had problems with the exchange server, but that isn't important.
So, after we deleted all accounts, we created them new in the active directory (with a new SID).

As you know, after this step, the users can't login with their current account.
We have about 16 XP machines and 4 windows 7 machines.

At the XP machines, there wasn't any problem: I simply created a new user, logged in as administrator, and renamed the old user (original, working account) to the new user name, so that the system thinks, that the new created user, is the original user. That worked fine and was no problem.

But as I tried the same thing at the windows 7 clients, we can't login. We deleted the ntuser files and it worked, but then, the whole user settings are gone and that was a bad solution.

So I found your website www.forensit.com and tried the tool "User Profile Wizard 3.0".
I was surprised, how easy it is to use and how good it is !! :)

At one computer there weren't any problems with this program and everything was fine, and also the outlook works. But at two other computers we have got the same problem, that we can't start outlook 2010 and can't start the "E-Mail" Function button under system control.

I explain again, what I did:
- I logged in as local administrator
- I removed the old user from the user list and from the registry (profilelist) and restarted the computer
- Then I logged in again as local administrator and opened the user list to add the new user (with local administrator rights).
- Then I started the program User Profile Wizard 3.0 clicked "Next" and choosed "Local Computer (the computer this wiz3ard is running on)" and clicked "Next".
- Here the domain was already typed in (it is the right domain) and the button "Join Domain" was checked with a rectangle instead of a hook. I didn't changed that.
- In the field "Enter the account name:" I typed in the username and checked the box "Set as default logon" and clicked "next".
- Now I checked "Show unassigned profiles" and choosed the entry, where only the SID is shown and the profile path goes to "C:\Users\affecteduser" and clicked next.
- Then I typed in the Domain Administrator and password and confirmed.
- After that I clicked "next" and "finish" and restarted the computer.
- Now I logged in as the affecteduser and there is the problem.

What did I wrong or in the wrong order?

Thanks a lot.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 8:54am
Was the new account name the same as the old account name? Most importantly, did you rename the profile folder at all?

Does the problem with the email function in control panel happen with whatever user is logged in?

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 10:03am
Hi,

thanks for your answer!

Yes, the new account name is the same as the old account name.
No, I didn't rename the folder.

No, the problem only occours at the affected user. If I create a new user account, everything works fine.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 2:39am
In the case, probably the fastest solution is just to setup Outlook again. In the registry the Outlook settings are stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook. Export this key so that you have a backup and then delete it. When you restart Outlook you will be prompted to create a new Outlook profile and you can set Outlook up again.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 4:28am
I already tried to reinstall outlook.

I did this according this manual:
http://office-blog.net/post/Office-2010-vollstaendig-entfernen-und-erneut-installieren.aspx

I deleted all entries refering to office 2010 and after I have uninstalled office 2010 and reinstalled it, the same error occours.

What could I do else?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:56am
What is the error message?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net