Print Page | Close Window

serious problems with roaming profiles

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Domain Migration
Forum Description: User Profile Wizard questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: https://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=425
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: serious problems with roaming profiles
Posted By: cylent
Subject: serious problems with roaming profiles
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:06am
today i just lost a profile and i know profwiz doesnt copy. it just changes the registry identity. thats fine.

the deal is like this:

i am setting up new users on my test domain so i can learn to do this right....

my test domain is called test.domain ... i created a user and made it a ROAMING profile. i logged in with the account just fine. i got a clean desktop with no issues.

i then launched profwiz as the test domain user... it asked me for admin rights and i provided that info.

two things happened ... on one account the desktop and everything else didnt "move" through to the new name.
on the second occasion the files transferred fine however outlook when started has no record of a profile and started like it was a fresh install.

please help! (cant buy the product without making sure i do it right)

Replies:
Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 6:41am

I'm not clear whether you created the test user account roaming profile to migrate that profile to a different account, or whether you want to migrate an existing profile to the test user account.

If you want to migrate an existing profile to a new domain account with a roaming profile, you should never logon to the domain with the new account first as that will create a new roaming profile that will overwrite the data you are trying to migrate.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

I'm not clear whether you created the test user account roaming profile to migrate that profile to a different account, or whether you want to migrate an existing profile to the test user account.

ya the test is the domain user.

If you want to migrate an existing profile to a new domain account with a roaming profile, you should never logon to the domain with the new account first as that will create a new roaming profile that will overwrite the data you are trying to migrate.

so then what ? login with the domain admin and do the copying then?

shall i also join the domain with the domain admin or the user i created?

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:36am
UserA logs onto DomainA. You want to migrate UserA's profile to user account UserB on DomainB. You just migrate the account like any other account: run User Profile Wizard to migrate UserA's profile to UserB and let the software join the machine to the domain. You should not logon as UserB until the profile has been migrated.

If the machine is already joined to DomainB, use a domain admin account to migrate the profile, not the UserB account.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:06am
your example is a bit on the detailed side. all my machines are local only. i am only doing the domain joining to see if it works. so i have no old domain.
so to sum up, create the roaming user on the domain controller.
goto computer
add computer to domain using admin account.
reboot
run UPW and leave the box shaded (not checked, not blank) and enter in the domain user name ...
next ... select the old profile to migrate
after completion we should have a working new domain user with the old files migrated.

Correct?

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 3:24am
You do not have to add the machine to the the domain before running User Profile Wizard. UPW will add the machine to the domain for you.

The only time we recommend joining the machine to the domain first is if you are migrating to SBS.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:44am
this doesnt work.

heres the problem i ran into

i came to a machine that i want to add to the domain.

i joined it with my Administrator account then i realized (and after looking in c:\users) that the user account is not created on the PC.

so i panicked. lol.

thats exactly my point above. will the profile wizard create the account on the PC? because when joining and not logging in with the account it doesnt exist on the pc.

please advise.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:26am

Why would the user account be created on the machine? A domain user account only exists in Active Directory. Do you mean the profile? The data under c:\users\username? User Profile Wizard migrates the user's existing profile, it does not create a new one.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:21am
thanks, i got it working now.
but yes i was panicked because i didnt see the profile folder in c:\users. for some reason i forgot that this more of a redirection ...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net