ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enter Username and Password

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enter Username and Password
    Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 5:33pm
I've been working on joining machines/users from a workgroup to AD. I've successfully joined ~ 15 machines, but have recently started receiving a popup after entering the machine name that states, "Enter Username and Password" and asks to, "Enter the DOMAIN\user name and password of an account with permission to access <machine>."

This has been only started appearing in the most recent machines/users I've been trying to migrate. If I enter credentials I either get another pop-up of the exact same dialog box but is empty. If I click to cancel I get an error message that reads, "User Profile Wizard cannot connect to <machine>. Access is denied."

On these machines I have enabled network discovery, file and printer sharing, and enabled access to all network discovery/file and printer sharing/Remote desktop processes within Windows Defender. Is there something else I may be missing?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 12:04pm
Hi, 

Remember that by default, Windows 7 onwards prevents local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network. To enable administrative shares you have to make a registry change on the target machine. Run Regedit and add the following registry value:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Data Type: REG_DWORD (32-bit)
Value: 1

If you are migrating from an existing domain, the “host” machine (the machine you are sitting at) should be joined to the same domain.

Many thanks,

Support.
nts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 1:54pm
The migration is moving machines to a domain for the first time (they were being used in a large workgroup previously). I have been migrating the machines from a machine that is already on the domain (the new DC) and have had no issue with about 70% of the machines.

I suppose my next questions are:
1. Why do the local accounts need access to administrative shares for the migration process?
2. If the issue is being caused by local accounts not having access to administrative shares then why am I only experiencing this issue with certain machines and not others?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 2:26pm
Hi, 

User Profile Wizard only uses standard Microsoft File and Printer sharing. File and Printer Sharing must be enabled and the machines must be discoverable. To troubleshoot, try typing \\Computername from Start/Run from another machine and see if it will connect. This is normally all you need.

If you are running the migration remotely using the Professional Edition, you will need to specify credentials that the software can use to connect to the computer and run the software on the computer. 

It is a Window setting - Windows 7 onwards prevents local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network, it is not a User Profile Wizard requirement or setting. 

Many thanks,

Support.

nts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 2:35pm
I have confirmed File and Printer sharing is enabled on all machines as well as network discovery. I can connect to the machines via \\Comptuername from Start/Run (though the result says "This folder is empty.") 

I am using the Professional Edition and have confirmed that the information that is in the Profwiz.config file matches that of the machines I am attempting to migrate (all machines were set with the same local administrator credentials). 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 2:49pm
Hi, 

Have you checked the registry key?

If you are still having a problem, please can you mail us your config file and any further details and we'll be happy to advise. 

Many thanks,

Support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic