ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two problems\questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evetsleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two problems\questions
    Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 3:14pm
Hello!

I am working on migrating computers from one forest into another where there is a one-way trust. One thing I really wanted to provide users with was a timed reboot instead of just a simply reboot now kind of prompt. To do this I decided to first try to use SCCM (SMS) to push out the executable that ForensiT generates so that I can use SCCM's ability to do a timed reboot. But that isn't working because each time ForensiT runs I get a UAC prompt...even when SCCM is pushing it out and we can't figure out why.

So I decided to approach this differently and write a small PowerShell script to do prompt give the user a timed reboot notification. Problem is that even though I packed it in the EXE it's not running the script after the migration.

So:
UAC: Any thoughts on how to distribute a package created ForensiT that won't trigget a UAC?

Follow-on scripts: Is PowerShell not an allowed script? My script works find interactively but never runs when running the EXE.

Thanks!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:22am
If you are running from SCCM, the migration is going to run in the security context of the SYSTEM account. You should therefore ensure that the <LocalAdmin> and <LocalPwd> values in Profwiz.config are blank:

<LocalAdmin></LocalAdmin>
<LocalPwd></LocalPwd>

If you don’t do this, even if SCCM starts the process in the security context of the SYSTEM account, User Profile Wizard will switch to the credentials specified in the Profwiz.config file (and you will get a UAC prompt for that account.)

What are you using the timed reboot notification for? After the migration is completed, the machine needs to be rebooted as soon as possible. If you want a "Your machine will reboot in 30 seconds" type message, you can use the Profwiz.exe /REBOOTDELAY switch. (See page 89 of the User Guide.)

Powershell scripts are supported.

evetsleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evetsleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:54am
Going to test this now with SCCM..thank you!

On the reboot delay, I have a configuration which has <NoReboot>FALSE</NoReboot> so that it prompts for reboot. How does /REBOOTDELAY interact with that? Should I set this to TRUE? In a test that I just ran where i have this set to FALSE it prompts for reboot, but there is no timer and /REBOOTDELAY doesn't seem to kick in.
evetsleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evetsleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:01am
I forgot to answer your question..sorry. At first we were trying to have SCCM do a timed reboot (where the user gets a count down timer and has a choice to reboot now or wait for the time to elapse. We were having issues with that and so I wrote a quick little PowerShell script to do it.

https://gist.github.com/evetsleep/642bf7809518174f8957

It doesn't seem to run however when running profwiz.exe locally packaged up in an EXE (I haven't tested an unpackaged migration yet).
djones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:09am
I know this is an old thread, but I have a related question.  Can the /REBOOTDELAY be used inside the profwiz.config file?  We plan on pushing out with SCCM so I'm making migrations using the one file .exe method, and our support folks are asking us to at least give the users a few seconds with a message saying their machine is about to reboot.  
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:09pm
/REBOOTDELAY is a command line option only. However, it is very easy to add it to the command line of the migration script. The default Migrate-All.ps1 script already has it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic