ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AD User to Local User newbie questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zoogz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoogz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 2:20am
I am tasked with replacing an old Windows Server (SBS 2008) with a Synology NAS for file sharing and a new router for DHCP etc. We have several computers that are tied to the domain and log in as domain users.

I need to convert the 3-4 domain users on each computer into local users so they can be freed from the server. I will sync the user folders to the NAS using Synology's sync software.

I am not experienced with servers and domain users and I am a bit trepidatious about this process. Someone pointed me to ForensIT software, gave it rave reviews.

My Questions:

1) What happens to the domain user account/data when you run this software - is it "converted" to a local account, or is a COPY made of it as a local user?

2) Should the computer be removed from the domain before running the software, or does it not matter?

3) What else do I need to know about this process? Is there any danger that user data, applications, passwords/settings, etc will be lost or damaged?

Thank you, my apologies for being such a bonehead about this. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic