ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrated user, strange userprofiles turn up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrated user, strange userprofiles turn up
    Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:33pm
Hello Forum,

I migrated a Windows 10 user profile ("Old-User") on a PC called "PC-Name" which had problems (certain files could not be decrypted anymore) to a newly created user ("New-User") using User Profile Wizard. Both users are administrators.

While the file encryption problem has disappeared (I wonder what would have caused this and why it is fixed now?) -- it seems that the user directory of the new user "New-User" is as follows

C:\Users\Old-User\...

Also, now there are a number of new user folders called 

Old-User.PC-Name
Old-User.PC-Name.000
Old-User.PC-Name.001

...and the last one listed even seems to be in use when logged in under "New-User".

Is this all correct, and intended behavior?

Edited by David.P - 24 May 2021 at 12:45am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 11:30am
The Freeware, Personal Edition of User Profile Wizard does not rename the profile folder, so when you sign-in as New-User, the account will use the C:\Users\Old-User profile. The Professional and Corporate Editions will rename the profile folder to C:\Users\New-User.

If you sign-in as Old-User after the profile has been migrated, Windows will create a new profile C:\Users\Old-User.PC-Name.

David.P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:05pm
Thanks very much -- and thank you also for your invaluable tool.

So I guess I can delete those "Old-User.PC-Name[.***]" users.

By any chance, would you know what a so-called user profile corruption is (that seemed to have been the case here, and now is fixed), and how that got fixed by the migration? 

(In my case, there was a certain type of encrypted *.RBE  files that were not readable anymore)

Edited by David.P - 24 May 2021 at 12:06pm
David.P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 9:39am
Hello,

one more additional question please: 

I noticed that, being logged in as "New-User", I am now always asked for administrator privileges when I try to delete one of my files that I created under the "Old-User" Windows account.

Is there any way to fix this without causing side effects? E.g. with a take ownership script?

Edited by David.P - 25 May 2021 at 10:30am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:02am
Yes, you can give your new new user account permissions to access the old profile.
David.P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:11am
Thank you for the instruction. 
What would be the best (or official?) way to do that, if there is such a way? 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:36am
There's no "official" way. You assign permissions to the profile folder like you would any other folder.
David.P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 12:29pm
Thanks again. Will do and report back
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic