ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProfWiz CLI not migrating profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProfWiz CLI not migrating profile
    Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 12:42pm
Hi,

I'm currently working on a PS script to migrate a bunch of computers in a primary school (long story ...).
What I'm doing is collecting parameters from a web application and hand them over on the CLI.

ProfWiz is run on each computer locally.

The full command reads along the lines of
--snip--
ProfWiz.exe /DOMAIN ad.dnsdomain.net /RENAME CN=hostname,OU=this,OU=that,DC=ad,dc=dnsdomain,dc=net /TARGETACCOUNT dnsdomain\user1 /SOURCEACCOUNT UserA /DOMAINADMIN dnsdomain\domadm /DOMAINPWD E-n-c-P-a-s-s /KEY EncryptionKey /DISABLE /LOG C:\migration\profwiz.log
---------

The computers a corrently joined to the target domain but the profile of the local user is not assigned to the domain user.

The log reads the following
-----
Creating migration service... Done.
Starting migration service... Done.
No user account was specified.
Finding Domain Controller for domain ad.dnsdomain.net... Done.
Using Domain Controller: \\dc1234.ad.dnsdomain.net.
Binding to Active Directory... Done.
Joining to domain "ad.dnsdomain.net" ...
WARNING: NBNS lookup failure.
Retrying...  Done.
Migration Complete!
-----

The message "No user account was specified." is also displayed, when I just run 

"ProfWiz.exe /TARGETACCOUNT dnsdomain\user1 /SOURCEACCOUNT UserA /NOJOIN" 
or
"ProfWiz.exe /TARGETACCOUNT dnsdomain\user1 /SOURCEPROFILE UserA /NOJOIN" 

or a full set of parameters with /NoJOIN

Does someone have a clue of what I'm missing here?

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 5:52pm
Hi, 

Please check that <OldDomain> is blank in the config file, as this is a migration of a profile from a local account.

You should also remove "dnsdomain\" from the cmd line, as you do not need to specify the target domain in the command line, as it is configured in the config file. 

You can also set <NoJoin> to True in the config file to avoid specifying in the cmd line. 

If you still have a problem, please can you email us your config file and migration log and we'll be happy to take a look.

Support.
peterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 9:58am
<OldDomain> is indeed blank in the config file.

Overall the Profwiz.config is only holding default values and the license.
I'd rather pass parameters via CLI than statically configure them in the config file.
As mentioned in my initial post, values are pulled from a web backend dynamically.

I'm almost done with this migration, so having that info is not relevant for the current task anymore.
As one of the next tasks is migrating domain to domain for ~150 computers, it will likely become relevant again in the near future ...

In which direction does "No user account was specified." point?
The message is rather generic and fiddling with user account related parameters did not change anything with the appearance of the message.

As ProfWiz.exe was launched locally on each machine via PowerShell running with administrative rights (actually the SYSTEM account), providing credentials for the target domain should be enough to complete the task.

However, if the same behaviour is observed in the upcoming migration, I'll raise a call via e-mail (and update this thread with results, if applicable).

Regards
Peter
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:50am
Hi, 

"No user account was specified." is referring to the source account. Obviously I can see you have specified the source account in the command line, so it could be that there's a problem with the config file.

If you're still having a problem, please email us your config file and we'll be happy to take a look.

Many thanks,

Support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic