ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just starting, need some advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just starting, need some advice
    Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 12:04pm
I am testing the migration tool, so decided to start small and just try the basic free migration tool and complete a migration of a domain profile to azure ad.

1. I removed the workstation from the domain
  2. Joined the workstation to AzureAD and enrolled in Intune.
  3. I signed in with a test Azure Ad account (local admin,  lets call it user1) 
  4. I ran the powershell script (Save-AzureADUser.ps1) and created the xml file (ForensiTAzureID.xml)
  5. I ran the migration tool
  6. I picked one of the other domain user profiles (lets call it user2)  that existed on the PC, unchecked domain so only AzureAD was checked, and entered the user2 M365 UPN and ran the migration.
  7. The system then went through a new user setup process and appears to have created a new user profile for the currently logged in user (profile folder named user1.AzureAD)
  8. I finshed the tool and restarted the PC and on logon it ran a setup again and created another user profile folder (user1.AzureAD.001)
  9. Profile folder for user2 looks the same no changes, it has added the AzureAD\user2 in to the local admins group

Once I get over this simple stage , I will start looking at the packaged migrations but I just need to understand what I am doing wrong here.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:29am
Hi, 

You can join the computer to Azure before or after the profile migration, however you should not log in to the new account before you have migrated the profile to it. 

It looks like you migrated the profile associated with the Domain account User2 to the new Azure account. This is correct, the software does not move, copy or delete any data. Instead it configures the existing profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new account.

Looking at the steps above, User1 was not migrated with User Profile Wizard, so the new profiles are not related to User Profile Wizard.

If you have any other questions, please contact support with more information. 

Many thanks,

Support
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic