ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Post migration:  Win 7 temp profile is being used
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post migration: Win 7 temp profile is being used

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cimerians View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cimerians Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post migration: Win 7 temp profile is being used
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:53am
My mistake. I am not sharing profiles. I'm doing all the defaults and only thing I do is disable the local account and force join the domain. (I do not want them logging back in locally with the local account.). I was also logged in as admin doing some things before I logged off and logged in as the user.

- I logged off as a local admin account.
- logged in as the local user account to be migrated.
- ran migrate
- force joined
- disabled local account
- rebooted

Any other logs to look at? I saw the migration log created during migration and it shows success for everything.

I have a feeling it may be a local service that was running that possibly wasnt shutting off when I logged off as local admin (and then logged in as him to run the migrate.exe). The first link was very helpful. I ended up manually copying over his data and re-creating his profile.

I'll test on another machine this week. I'm sure it probably was a service or something that was running. After rebooting though no services should be running. I wonder if that service started up again and somehow was tied into the old account.

Anyway thanks again for the links.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 3:49am
You should check the event log to see why the user's profile is not being loaded and they are getting a temporary profile. See here.

Sharing the profile is not a straightforward option and is not recommended. Please see "Profwiz.config Reference" in the User Guide.

cimerians View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cimerians Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 4:46pm
Using Profwiz 3.0. and Windows 7 SP1 on a 2008 Domain. The user was a local user going to a domain. I never had issues with XP.

Issue: After running migrate.exe and the pc reboots and the user logs in, Windows displays a message in the lower right taskbar saying a temporary profile is being used please reboot or contact your system admin.

I tried rebooting a few times but no luck.

I have a basic straightforward profwiz profile. (Share profile, disable local account, force join computer name to domain, reboot)

I checked the local c:\users\public...profwiz log and everything says successful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic