ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Circumventing Network Share

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithlessValor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Circumventing Network Share
    Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 9:36am
My apologies if these are questions of ignorance, but let me describe my situation:

My company has a very large domain (3000+ users) which contains hundreds of proprietary companies. However, the majority of these companies are still not on our domain and are on their own individual workgroups. We are currently in the midst of a program where we are migrating all of our proprietary companies, most of which are between 2 and 30 users in size, onto our domain. We provide them with email addresses that are already on our domain, and when we migrate their computer, we set their pre-existing email address and password to be the login credentials to our domain.

Now, for this project, we need to migrate their user profiles, add them to our domain, change their computer names, drop their computers in the proper OU, and update the group policy. My hope is that the User Profile Wizard will allow us to execute this easily, however not every one of our proprietary companies have network shares that are easily accessible by us, nor do we have access to remotely manage their current workgroups. Is there any way to execute the full migration from the local computer alone - or is there a way that we can push the migration from a remote computer that is NOT on their current workgroup?

And/or: What would be the best way to execute the migration script in this scenario?

Edited by FaithlessValor - 14 Oct 2011 at 9:55am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:32am

Hi,

Depending on the network configuration and the configuration of the workgrouped workstations, it may be possible to remotely migrate the machines from another machine not in the workgroup.

However, it may be more efficient here to create a single deployment file: this contains the migration script and all the necessary files and settings (including encrypted passwords), and it can be run directly on the machine to be migrated – either by a tech or by the user themselves.

If you would like to evaluate the Corporate Edition of User Profile Wizard, please email us at support@ForensiT.com

Many Thanks.
FaithlessValor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithlessValor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 12:34pm
Thank you very much for your reply!

We just purchased the Corporate Edition yesterday, and the single deployment file sounds like an awesome approach.

However, when I just tested it, I received an error that reads:

Script: C:\Users\CFNHEL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Migrate.vbs
Line:   72
Char: 1
Error: Object Required
Code: 800A01A8
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

That script is designating a location that does not exist on this machine, and it seems to be a temporary location that I do not see even when looking for hidden files/folders. The Migrate.vbs file is in the same folder as the migration file, and I'm not sure how to rectify this.

Thank you again for your help!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:31pm

You may be misreading the error message here. C:\Users\CFNHEL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Migrate.vbs is the script that is being run. (The single deployment file gets the location of the TEMP directory from Windows.) The error is occuring at line 72 of that script.

The script is a copy of the migrate.vbs script created in the Deployment Files folder when you ran the Deployment Kit. If you email us that script (please rename it .txt) we can look at why the error is occuring.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithlessValor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 2:09pm
Thank you so much for responding. Your support thus far has been tremendous.

I managed to fix that error by readjusting some profile settings on the local machine, but I've since run into an error that I keep bashing my head against.

I am running the single deployment file on the test computer, which has no domain and has the computer name "THEBARON". I want to change the computer name to "THEDUKE", and I have a .csv computer lookup file that is embedded with two columns, the first column reading THEBARON, the second column reading THEDUKE. I have also specified in the Wizard that the computer is not already on a domain.

When I run the single deployment file, I receive the error message "The Domain Controller for 'THEBARON' cannot be found. Make sure that you have specified a valid domain name."

It seems to think that the computer name is a domain, when I specified in the Wizard that it was not on a domain. When I look at the config file, it doesn't have the lookup files directed to the users.csv or computers.csv, it is still written as the full file path that I originally created the single deployment file with on a separate machine.

Does this make any sense? I'm not sure how to proceed from here, and thank you so much again for your help.

Edited by FaithlessValor - 14 Oct 2011 at 2:16pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 2:30pm

The Deployment Kit is smart enough to change the paths to the .csv files in the Profwiz.config file when it embeds the Profwiz.config file in the single deployment file - so don't worry that the full path exists in the Profwiz.config file you see in the Deployment Files folder.

Open the .csv file in notepad and check that each line is formated like THEBARON,THEDUKE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithlessValor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 2:51pm
Hmm, it seems that the .csv file is formatted exactly as you specified above. Still running into the error.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithlessValor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 2:53pm
The log file doesn't have much information here, it reads:

The migration service already exists.
Starting migration service... Done.
Finding Domain Controller for domain THEBARON... Fails.

Migration Fails.

Edited by FaithlessValor - 14 Oct 2011 at 2:53pm
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 4:47am

This looks like a problem with a configuration setting. Rather than trying to second-guess what this is, if you send us your Profwiz.config file, your migrate.vbs script and your computer lookup file we should be able to identify the problem quite quickly.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic