ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer to a User on a PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckieff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer to a User on a PC
    Posted: 18 Feb 2007 at 4:24pm
I've looked everywhere on the web and this site.  I can't get a straight answer about transferring a user into a machine that already has other users.  I'm afraid of killing existing configurations.   So simply, how can I do this, and ensure that the new user doesn't become the primary user on the machine?

Configuration:
Old PC- single user with Admin.

New PC- several users, new user will not have Admin.  (unless that's impossible...)

Thanks,
Chris

BTW- I'm into SEO and if you made a good write up on this is posted it on your site you would get good placement on Google, etc. because there is nothing about this on the web...
Chris
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 4:40pm

Hi Chris,

The first thing to say is that if you use our Transfer Wizard you won’t over write any profile data.

As you probably know, if you have an account called – say - “Chris” and you logon to a workstation, by default Windows will create a user profile folder called “Chris” typically in “C:\Documents and Settings” if you’re on XP, or “C:\Users” if you’re on Vista.

If you transfer your user profile from an old machine to a new machine, and there is already a profile folder called “Chris” on the new machine, the transfer Wizard will automatically create a new profile folder called something like “Chris.000”. The original profile folder is not touched.

What happens next is up to you. You can assign the profile that you have transferred to your “Chris” account – which means that you will use the data and settings you have transferred from your old machine from now on. Or you can assign the transferred profile to a different account, which means that you will continue to use the data and settings you have on the new machine with your “Chris” account, and the other account will use the data and settings from your old machine. To do this, just type the new account information on the “User Account Information” page – typing over the original information – when you run the Transfer Wizard on the new machine:

I’m not sure what you mean when you say that you want to “ensure that the new user doesn't become the primary user on the machine.” If you are talking about the default Administrator account, then what I’ve said above should cover it. If you are transferring the “Administrator” account profile from the old machine to the new machine, you can assign the profile to a different account, and the Administrator account profile on the new machine will remain unchanged. The account you assign the profile to does not have to be an Administrator account.

Please come back if this doesn’t answer your question.

Edited by Support - 19 Feb 2007 at 4:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic