ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer to Computer Transfer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitHappens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer to Computer Transfer
    Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 4:04pm
I have many machines to transfer from local ad and local work groups to Azure AD.

We have the paid version.

When I select the computer in the another computer; I try to connect to it with either local credentials or my azuread\username credentials it does not seem to save them. It flashes for a second like it is trying and then asks for the credentials again. No errors.

Is there a better way to do this transfer or am I missing something?

On the same machine the program works pretty flawlessly.

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 5:03pm
You are being asked for the credentials each time because a connection to the remote machine cannot be made.

User Profile Wizard only uses standard Microsoft File and Printer sharing. File and Printer Sharing must already be enabled and the machines must be discoverable. To troubleshoot, try typing \\Computername\C$ from Start/Run from another machine and see if it will connect. This is normally all you need.

Remember that by default, Windows 7 onwards prevents local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network. To enable administrative shares you have to make a registry change on the target machine. Run Regedit and add the following registry value:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Data Type: REG_DWORD (32-bit)
Value: 1

If you are migrating from an existing domain, the “host” machine (the machine you are sitting at) should be joined to the same domain. If you can, be signed-in with an account that has Admin access to the remote machine.

BitHappens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitHappens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 8:02pm
I would say that joining to the same domain is near to impossible for some of these older computers. Computers that are near impossible based on their current specs.

I really want to know am I using the tool correctly to transfer the users profile into the new computer. I understand how to do it easily on the same machine but transferring it to another computer on the same network is alluding me with this tool.

So I am left with trying to move the current data from either the local ad or local workgroup to the new computer while trying to capture all of their non encrypted data.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 7:23am

You are using the wrong tool.

User Profile Wizard is our domain migration tool: it does not move or copy any data. Instead it configures the existing profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new account.

Our tool for transferring a user profile to a new PC is Transwiz. Transwiz works by backing up the user profile to a transfer file that you can then restore on another machine. However, Transwiz has no support for directly transferring profiles over the network, and does not support Azure AD.

Transwiz is Freeware and can be downloaded from our website.

Edited by Support - 10 Nov 2021 at 7:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic