ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Profile Transfer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Profile Transfer
    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 3:01pm
I purchased the professional version of Profile Wizard.  I need to migrate machines off a domain and make them standalone.  I setup the local admin account, logged in, removed it from the domain, and now I am trying to use Profile Wizard.

I get to "Enter user name and password", but it will not accept it.  I have tried using the Computername\username, and just the Username, but neither work.

What is the trick to logging in?  I have triple-checked the computer name, user name, and password, but it still refuses to connect.  I have Windows Firewall turned off, and the security software uninstalled.  I can ping the computer, and login locally without any issues.

Thank you,
Andy
cyberando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:36pm
It appears to only work if you use the domain login, but even that fails often, professing to not be able to connect to domain.  If I use the computer name for the domain with a local administrator account, it just returns to the password prompt.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:40am
You should not remove the computer from the domain, before migrating the profiles. 

The sequence to follow is; 

1. Create the new local account
2. Use User Profile Wizard to migrate the profile, and unjoin from the domain

User Profile Wizard only uses standard Microsoft File and Printer sharing. File and Printer Sharing must already be enabled and the machines must be discoverable. No additional Ports need to be open.

Try typing \\Computername\C$ from Start/Run from another machine and see if it will connect. This is normally all you need.

Remember that by default, Windows 7 onwards prevents local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network. To enable administrative shares for local Administrators you have to make a registry change on the target machine. Run Regedit and add the following registry value:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Data Type: REG_DWORD (32-bit)
Value: 1

The host machine (the machine you are sitting at) should be a member of the same domain as the target machines (the old domain) if those machines are on a domain. 

If you still have a problem, please contact support@forensit.com

Support
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic