ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Desktop Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 Domain to Local Migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfWizLZ50-70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 Domain to Local Migration
    Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 9:12pm
Dear All (and Support, please chime in!):

I would like to do a domain to local account migration using ForensiT Profile Wizard 24 Free Edition, while avoiding any issues (especially with Outlook that seem to have been a widespread topic of conversation in this forum).

The computer is a Windows 10 Pro laptop version 1809 joined to a managed services domain that is being retired.  The computer has been off the domain for more than two years throughout the pandemic, accessing the Internet locally from my home, but through the domain-connected user account (and so presumably via a "roaming profile"). 

Concerns I have about unjoining it include:

1.   I do not want to lose all of the configuration, favorites, browser history, bookmarks, recent document lists or any user-specific applications that might have been installed, were I to use the traditional Windows 10 domain separation technique of just blithely deleting the account from the server, or changing the domain name to WORKGROUP on the local machine.  (Unbelievable how many so-called "helpful" websites tell you to just click OK to the one warning dialog box that tells you about this!)

I believe that ProfWiz should handle all of this.  Any caveats?

2.    I do not want to have any issues accessing email via Outlook after the unjoin.  A search on "Outlook" in the Forums here turns up pages and pages of issues, with no clear guideline on how to avoid the most common ones, of either "losing a profile" or having to "create a new profile."  I do not know what either of these mean, but I simply want to be able to continue using Outlook with all of my local folders and downloaded mail, uninterrupted for as long as I have access to that account.

It sounds like most problems are avoided by "completely logging out of Outlook" before using ForensiT.  Is that correct?  And how do I "completely log out"?  

(There should be a sticky post at the top of this forum to address this issue.)

3.    I want to remove all managed service applications from the computer, such as 

-- "agents" that allow silent remote access and control by domain administrators, 

--  centrally managed antivirus programs whose definitions are updated silently and remotely,

--  group policy objects from the domain controller that limit freedom of action on the local computer (and might continue to do so after unjoining unless removed or deleted)

--  whatever local tool is used to feed vetted Windows Updates from the server in background, even though Windows Update is disabled locally on the machine

The managed service provider says that all this is "handled from their end."  But presumably that would all have to be done BEFORE converting the user account with ProfWiz?

4.     I want to know ahead of time which centrally subscribed/licensed programs (e.g. Acrobat or Office365) will disappear when unjoined from the domain.  Is there a way to learn this on the local machine?  Or do I just have to ask the managed service provider?

5.     How do I test for folder redirection prior to unjoining, so that I can avoid problems after unjoining that have also been reported in this Forum.

As you can perhaps see, I'm just trying to understand the overall parameters of this operation before just diving in and perhaps having subsequent regrets.

All help will be appreciated!

-- ProfWizLZ50-70

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic