ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The account does not exist on this machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylortech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The account does not exist on this machine
    Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 12:41am
This software is amazing! But I am running into trouble with disconnecting a small office with 9 PCs and server 2008.

I choose the name of the user 
On next screen I choose pc name
Check join workgroup,
Enter in user name as seen in c:\users
Click next

But get the error the account “xxx” does not exist on this machine.

Note: the users were setup as local, not roaming, with folder redirections for desktop, documents, pictures.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:57am
Hi, 

It sounds like you haven't yet created the new user account on the PC that you are going to migrate the Domain profile to?

For example, if I select a domain account as the source profile, select to migrate it to a local account (select PC name and join workgroup), and specify a username that doesn't already exist - I receive the dialog box; 

Account does not exist
The account 'newusername' does not exist on this machine. 

Support.

Edited by Support - 30 Sep 2022 at 10:58am
lancorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 4:02am
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Hi, 

It sounds like you haven't yet created the new user account on the PC that you are going to migrate the Domain profile to?

For example, if I select a domain account as the source profile, select to migrate it to a local account (select PC name and join workgroup), and specify a username that doesn't already exist - I receive the dialog box; 

Account does not exist
The account 'newusername' does not exist on this machine. 

Support.

Needing to do this also.  Currently, there is the domain users profile folder (which we want to become the standalone users folder).  If we create a new user, doesn't that create a new user profile folder?  Then what do we end up with after performing said steps?  What happens to the newly created user folder?  

Obviously, we want the existing domain user folder to be the local user folder.

Where do we create the user (using Settings, or in computer management and do a new user in local users & groups or in control panel, under User Accounts)?  It's confusing having three places to add users!

Thanks.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 12:26pm
Hi, 

You must create the new user account on the Computer before migrating the profile to it.

Create the new local user account, do not log in to the account before you migrate the profile to it.

You can use Computer Management to create the new user account. 

A new profile folder will not be created under c:\users, as the user has not logged on to the new local account. 

Use User Profile Wizard to migrate the Profile from the Domain account to the Local account. 

The existing profile folder will be remapped to the the new local account. The Free Edition will not rename the profile folder (Professional and Corporate editions can).

Support.
Taylortech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylortech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 4:54pm
[FIXED]
That did it!

I created the user under computer management 

Ran free edition of profwiz and it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much!
lancorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Hi, 

You must create the new user account on the Computer before migrating the profile to it.

Create the new local user account, do not log in to the account before you migrate the profile to it.

You can use Computer Management to create the new user account. 

A new profile folder will not be created under c:\users, as the user has not logged on to the new local account. 

Use User Profile Wizard to migrate the Profile from the Domain account to the Local account. 

The existing profile folder will be remapped to the the new local account. The Free Edition will not rename the profile folder (Professional and Corporate editions can).

Support.

Perfect.  Thanks for the direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic