ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logging Back On Locally

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bristef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Logging Back On Locally
    Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:08am
Hi.  I just used User Profile Wizard 3.0 to migrate the local administrator's account on a workgroup computer (XP) to a user account in our domain.  UPW 3.0 joined the domain and successfully migrated the local admin account's profile to the new domain user account and I can logon and everything seems fine.  However, when I try to logon locally to the computer with the local (non domain) admin account I just migrated, it does not use (or "share") the profile I had just migrated - it create a new profile ("administrator.localcomputername") in the document and settings directory.  I had not checked off "Disable Account" or "Delete Account" when migrating.

Is this the expected behavior?  I was under the impression that local and domain users to which it the local account was migrated could share the same profile.

Thanks ahead of time for any help and/or explaination.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:26am
Hi, yes, this is expected behaviour. User Profile Wizard no longer shares profiles by default. If you want to enable sharing you need to set <ShareProfile> in the Profwiz.config file to 'True'. However, you should be aware that there are potential issues with this: see this post for more information.
bristef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bristef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:27am
Thanks for the information and the link - much appreciated.  I also saw you had this information in the manual as well, under "Profwiz.config Reference" ...I should have checked there first!

Thanks again for the help.

-Brian

bristef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bristef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:42am
One quick follow up to this question...is there a safe way share and/or unshare a profile after a migration has taken place?

Thanks-
Brian

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 12:53pm
Hi Brian,

The only way is to run the Wizard again and re-migrate the profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic