ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrate Service...Fails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard.seibert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrate Service...Fails
    Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:58am
I am trying to migrate machines and users from old domain to new domain.  If I run it for just the user that is logged in the program works fine.  It I try to do for all users, profwix.exe fails.  In the log file all I get is migration service fails... Access denied.  I have ran this under a local admin account.  A domain admin account and the same thing.  Please help since I am under a deadline
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:42am
There could be a number of different reasons. What is the exact error? Are you running Profwiz.exe from the local machine or from a network share?

Thanks.

richard.seibert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard.seibert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:49am
I have ran it from both a network share and on the local machine.  I have tried using the profwiz.vbs and the executable.  When running the profwiz.exe, i get a pop-up that says Migration Fails see log file.

Inside the log file all I see is...
Creating migration process.....Done
Creating migration service......Fails.
Access denied

Migration Fails
Access denied.

Is there a specific service that starts for this process?  Are there any elevated rights to start this service?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:05am
User Profile Wizard installs a temporary service that actually does the migration. You should check whether the service is already running. Open the Computer Management console and check for "User Profile Migration Service". It should not exist. If it does, check the status of the service. If it is anything other than "Started" reboot the machine.

By default any Administrator account can start a service. However, there may be some security setting in place that is preventing this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard.seibert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:15am

I was able to find the service after running the wizard with nothing in the config file except for license information.  Once I put in information into the config file and try to run the vbs script the service does not run.  Any ideas?

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:59am
Well, if you get the same error (Access Denied) it does seem to suggest that the account specified in the <LocalAdmin> value is causing the problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard.seibert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 12:40pm
It seems to work now.  Not the way I would like but it seems to work.  I had to change the service from starting manually to starting automatically.  Then I was able join the new domain
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 1:13pm
Again, that does seem to indicate that (for whatever reason) the <LocalAdmin> does not have permissions to control the service. Are these machines on an existing domain? Could there be any Group Policy in place?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard.seibert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 1:24pm
Yes these machines are on a domain and we are migrating to another domain.  I have access to the GPO of the domain that we are migrating from but not from the domain we are migrating too
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic