ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating after new profile creation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating after new profile creation
    Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:03pm
Good day,

I am interested in the Corporate version of the User Profile Wizard to perform an enterprise migration of user profiles from a Windows NT 4 domain to a Windows 2003 Domain

Here is the problem I am having. The machines have already all been moved to the new Windows 2003 domain and so have all the user accounts. There is trust relationship between the new and old domains so users are able to log into both domains from their machines

The problem of course is that users have already started to log into the new domain and so new profiles have already been created (This preceded my involvement). Now they need their NT 4 profiles to be moved to the Windows 2003 profile (Documents/Printers/Outlook Emails and so forth) on the existing machine

Right now because of the number of users and machines involved I am leaning towards using the Microsoft User State
Migration Tool (USMT) which is scriptable. This however will be time
consuming because it copies physical files and configurations and
requires a temporary storage area. Also Microsoft documentation seems to imply it is not workable if user being migrated already has a profile on the target machine

My question is this, does the User Profile Wizard Corporate Edition support this sort of migration. If it does, will it void/disable/delete the existing Windows 2003 profile already created on a machine?

Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:34pm
Hi,

Yes, User Profile Wizard does support this kind of migration. If you run User Profile Wizard you will be able to assign the users original profiles to their new Windows 2003 domain accounts. If a user has aleady logged on to the new Windows 2003 domain  and created a profile, the profile will remain on the machine (and will be accessble to the user via Windows Explorer) but the user will use their original NT 4.0 domain account profile when they logon.

If you need more advice on this please feel free to email us at support@ForensiT.com

Many Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic