ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating Local domain user profile to azuread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fre255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating Local domain user profile to azuread
    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 5:52pm
Which product would I need to migrate a local domain user to azure ad. Currently the user I have is domain joined and their passwords write back to azure ad. I want to migrate the user on local domain user DOMAIN\tim@user.com (directory synced) to AzureAD\tim@user.com (cloud synced). 

I have taken the directory user to a non synced directory to make them cloud synced then I disconnected the domain user from the domain on the local machine and when I did that profile was gone so I was not able to migrate the domain users profile. What is the best tool for me to use to copy that domain profile to mirror the azure ad profile? 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:41pm
You need User Profile Wizard. Please see the "Migrating to Azure AD" chapter of the User Guide.

User Profile Wizard does not move, copy or delete any data. Instead it configures the existing profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new Azure AD account.
fre255 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fre255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:50pm
Should I be downloading the forensit application first to the local domain users profile? 

Also which version of user profile wizard should I use for migrating 25 people from local domain to azure ad? 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:56pm
User Profile Wizard can be run from any account. You do not have to be signed-in as the user, but you can be.

With 25 profiles to migrate, you should not need the automation features of the Corporate Edition, so the Professional Edition should meet your needs.
fre255 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fre255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:15pm
Do I have to configure anything on the local domain joined machine before disconnecting it from the domain, because woouldnt it erase the profile if I just dis join it from the domain? 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:49pm
The profile will not be erased. It would be easier if you allow User Profile Wizard to unjoin the machine from the existing domain for you, but this means that you will need to join the machine to Azure AD afterwards, so you will need a local Admin account to do that. 

Once the machine is joined to Azure AD, you can sign-in with the Azure AD account and the original Desktop will be there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic